Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16598 Discussions

Modelsim -nodebug with megafunctions

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I used the -nodebug option with vcom to compile some VHDL into encrypted RTL for simulation (to be distributed with an IP core product). However, I cannot use it to simulate my design since it instantiates Altera Megafunctions (ie. dcfifo). Modelsim-Altera complains Error: (vsim-3067) Debug module 'C:\altera\90\modelsim_ase\altera\vhdl\altera_mf.dcfifo(behavior)' called from nondebug module 'c:\*deleted*\sim.pst_altera_async_fifo_wrapper(struc)'. 

Now this error is pretty self explanitory and I understand why it would stop short on simulating (so that internal signals are not shown). So my question is this: how am I supposed to generate protected (encrypted) precompiled code for RTL simulation if I rely on megafunction components for fifos, memory, and multipliers? 

I would like to avoid just using obfuscated code (the alternative).
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

*bump* 

So can anyone give me a solution for this problem or should be more accepting of code obfuscation as a security solution? 

EDIT: Perhaps, is there a way to recompile the Altera precompiled libraries so that they are also compiled with "-nodebug"?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

you could try compiling the ModelSim-AE libraries yourself (adapting ModelSim-SE instructions). 

see page 9: 

http://www.altera.com/literature/hb/qts/qts_qii53001.pdf
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks for the reply. I give that a try when I get my laptop back (its getting a new motherboard).  

The down side to this is that users will have to do a vcom -refresh with new major ModelSim versions. But, I guess they'll be doing it for my library anyway; what's one more?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks for the info. That worked. Sorry for the late reply and bump. Just thought I'd follow up in case someone else had the same question.

0 Kudos