Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12589 Discussions

baremetal application development in C++

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I'm looking for information on how to develop a Cyclone V SoC HPS baremetal application as a C++ project. I have found numerous C only examples and have followed the Getting Started tutorial from AlteraWiki. I then tried to use the concepts learned to create a simple C++ UART project using the "Creating a Bare-metal HwLibs Project Manually" section in the Getting Started tutorial. I copied the H/W library file alt_16550_uart.c to my project and added the applicable# include "alt_16550_uart.h" within the extern "C" {} to my main.cpp file. When I tried to build the project I get the following error: 

armcc --cpu=Cortex-A9 --apcs=/hardfp --arm -Dsoc_cv_av -DPRINTF_UART -I"C:\Users\alvarlj1\Documents\DS-5 Workspace\test_c_proj/src" -I"C:/intelFPGA/17.0/embedded\ip\altera\hps\altera_hps\hwlib\include" -I"C:/intelFPGA/17.0/embedded\ip\altera\hps\altera_hps\hwlib\include\soc_cv_av" -O0 -g --md --depend_format=unix_escaped --no_depend_system_headers --depend_dir="src" -c -o "src/main.o" "../src/main.cpp" 

"C:/intelFPGA/17.0/embedded\ip\altera\hps\altera_hps\hwlib\include/hwlib.h", line 42: Error: # 5: cannot open source input file "cstdbool": No such file or directory 

# include <cstdbool> 

I looked for this file in the ARM compiler include folder and I see the other two C++ standard library files, cstddef and cstdint, but not the cstdbool file. I tried to start with a C project and my main.cpp and have the same problem. Looks like if "alt_16550_uart.h" or any other hw library file that uses "hwlib.h" is included in any .cpp file I get this error. I'm using ARM DS-5 Intel SoC FPGA Edition version 5.27.0 build number 5270014. 

Thank you, 

Luis Alvarez
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

I looked for this file in the ARM compiler include folder and I see the other two C++ standard library files, cstddef and cstdint, but not the cstdbool file. I tried to start with a C project and my main.cpp and have the same problem. Looks like if "alt_16550_uart.h" or any other hw library file that uses "hwlib.h" is included in any .cpp file I get this error. I'm using ARM DS-5 Intel SoC FPGA Edition version 5.27.0 build number 5270014. 

Thank you, 

Luis Alvarez 

--- Quote End ---  

Just place an empty cstdbool file in your source files directory. 

This solves the problem in my case.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks sonycman, 

Your suggestion got me past the hwlib.h but I'm still not able to successfully compile the application. Now my problem is with the alt_clock_group.h. If I include the hw library header files in main.cpp after using namespace I get 4 "invalid union member" errors. If I include them before using namespace I get 31 errors, most about int32_t being undefined.
0 Kudos
MCOUNSELL
New Contributor I

Hi All,

I'm seeing the same issue regarding "invalid union member" errors from alt_clock_group.h when trying to compile with C++. Did anyone find a solution?

Mike

0 Kudos