Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)

Windows 7

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Does anyone know if Altera has mentioned anything about running Quartus under Windows 7? I have the RC installed, so I'm planning on giving it a try - but I pre-ordered the home version instead of the pro. I'm not on a domain at home, and the home version seemed to be the best fit. 

I can't imagine a reason it wouldn't run under home premium, but before I pre-order a second copy for my devel box, I figured I would check. Unfortunately, the RC is the "Ultimate" version, and there is no way to "downgrade" it that I've found.
0 Kudos
19 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

i haven't heard anything. i still run the antique XP. :)

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Yeah, I skipped Vista too. I d/led the Win7 RC, and it runs significantly better than Vista on my old laptop (A Dell 5100). I figured I would give it a go, and $50 is the price of a game. If it ends up being as bad as Vista, I'm not out that much.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

that's interesting that Win7 is running better than Vista. if that's the case and Windows 7 is well adopted, maybe Altera and other companies will be quick to support it.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have been running Quartus on Windows Vista without any problems. I don't think there are many significant under the hood changes from Vista to Windows 7 compared to XP vs Vista. I suspect the most recent versions of Quartus will work fine in Windows 7. Although, as I have not tried it and I have not heard from anyone else who has either, I can't be sure.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I'm not shilling for MS, but Win7 is significantly faster on my system than Vista. I tried Vista for a couple of months, but every time I tried to do real work, the system either got in my way, or crashed. I finally dropped back to XP. So far, the Win7 RC has been fairly stable, and fairly quick. It's still not as fast as XP on this machine, but I know eventually XP will "die" in terms of support.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Update: I can get Quartus II V9.0 sp2 running under Windows 7 x64 just fine, but USB-Blaster is not yet supported (drivers won't work, as in Windows Vista x64), so if you are dependant on the USB-Blaster, you're better off to wait until Altera supports Windows x64 with signed drivers, or hit F8 and disable driver signing necessity on each system boot.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

And what about Win7 x32? Do you think USB-Blaster would work?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

It works fine under Vista x32 and internally there isn't that much difference I think between the two, at least driver wise, so most of the Vista drivers will work on 7 also, including the USB-Blaster. But I'd be lying if I'd say it works 100% guaranteed, since I cannot verify it, because right now I am the only one with Vista x32 and Windows 7 x64 at work, the rest is still running XP.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Does anyone know how to install a USB "Software Guard" under Windows 7 x32?  

I tried installing it using the quartus driver directory, and now whenever I plug the software guard in and if finds what it thinks is the appropriate driver... BSOD.  

So... any help would be more than helpful. 

Thanks, 

Mast3rL33
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

From what I gather from altera.com, software guard is supported under Vista, so it should work under 7. However, since QII V8.0 software guards aren't supported anymore and I don't think QII versions smaller V8.0 will be supported under 7, so I guess you should try to get a NIC license or floating license from Altera support instead. Or is the dongle a lifetime license?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Does anyone know how to install a USB "Software Guard" under Windows 7 x32?  

I tried installing it using the quartus driver directory, and now whenever I plug the software guard in and if finds what it thinks is the appropriate driver... BSOD.  

So... any help would be more than helpful. 

Thanks, 

Mast3rL33 

--- Quote End ---  

I did nothing to install it, just looked in the device manager and the dongle was happy as a clam under Win7-64. But, while the Quartus license tool finds the dongle and lists its ID, the enumeration of the licensed functions never completes. Infinite hourglass. Running under the 30-day key to test. Other than that, Q2 seems to work fine under Win7-64. 

I must admit, though, that I haven't tried the USB Blaster yet -- my real work is still on the XP machine. 

Edit: Ummm never mind. Wrong license file. USB dongle and license server all happy. USB-Blaster not so much 

Edit again: USB Blaster install needs to have signed driver check bypassed. Win 7, as normally installed, mandates driver signing and does not explain why the USB Blaster driver install is failing. Changing the OS config to ask if an unsigned driver is OK allows the install to proceed.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I was told that Quartus 10, in June or so, will have windows 7 support.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

It turns out that Quartus II 9.1 works just fine on Win 7 64 bit in all respects. The only trick is to turn off the mandatory signed driver check for installing the USB Blaster.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Quartus II 10.0 - released last week, now supports Windows 7. So do SOPC Builder and Nios II Software Build Tools for Eclipse. The entire Altera Complete Design Suite (ACDS) 10.0 supports Windows 7.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

hello there, 

can anybody confirm that now USB Blaster works with win7 64 bit ? (with out turning off signed driver check)
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

hello there, 

can anybody confirm that now USB Blaster works with win7 64 bit ? (with out turning off signed driver check) 

--- Quote End ---  

Yes, it works. 

Jari
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

From what I gather from altera.com, software guard is supported under Vista, so it should work under 7. However, since QII V8.0 software guards aren't supported anymore and I don't think QII versions smaller V8.0 will be supported under 7, so I guess you should try to get a NIC license or floating license from Altera support instead. Or is the dongle a lifetime license? 

--- Quote End ---  

Where did you read that usb software dongles are no longer supported? We use them all over the place at the company I work for.. I've been using it with QII v9 for a while now, and am just about to move up to QII 10.1 SP1 with my new Win7 laptop... 

--- Quote Start ---  

hello there, 

--- Quote End ---  

--- Quote Start ---  

Yes, it works. 

Jari 

--- Quote End ---  

So QII 10.0 (SP1), USB Blaster (both Altera and Terasic), and USB Software License Dongle... all work with both Win7 x32bit and Win7 x64bit? 

Is there a recommended procedure to follow? 

cheers, 

..dane
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Vista is so buggy that after a year I've decided to return back to 2000. Most I liked xp.. I haven't heard about W7 compatibility either.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Is there a version of the Sentinel driver that allows 64 bit Quartus to work under Windows 7? 32 bit works fine but eventually I will need 64 bit for larger designs.

0 Kudos