Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16556 Discussions

Difference between area.rpt and "kernelname".area

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, I have compiled an example kernel and I found the files  

- area.rpt  

- "kernelname".area 

in the bin folder. 

Does the file area.rpt shows the total amount of Hardware used (for the Kernel + BSP)? 

And the file vecadd.area shows the Hardwareelements used only for this function? 

In this files there is also a section called Util, can someone tell me what this stands for? (I can´t find a translation to german where this word makes sense in this context) 

Exampleoutput: 

LEs: 3.09659 % 

FFs: 1.89328 % 

RAMs: 7.7821 % 

DSPs: 0 % 

util: 4.68994 %
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Can you attach the files to your reply? These reports have been renamed/removed/changed numerous times in different versions of AOC and these files that you mention do not exist in kernels compiled with v16.x and above.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I attached the files, compiled them with V.14.x

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I could be wrong (the version you are using is too old) but as you yourself said, the area.rpt is probably kernel + BSP while "kernel_name".area is kernel only. The "Util" field most likely shows your logic (ALM) utilization, i.e. the number of logic elements with at least one ALUT or register occupied in it.

0 Kudos