Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20641 Discussions

How to Interface 10M04SCU169 with Host processor

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello All, 

I am new in this forum and FPGA device exp. 

I would like to know how we can interface MAX10 series FPGA to External MCU/ Processor 

How can we decide the IO lines at FPGA side for interfacing 

I want to interface FPGA using 16-bit Data, 7-bit address and control signals 

But I don't know what are and how many control signals required for interfacing? (RD/ WR..?) 

and Where to connect all 16-bit data, 7-bit address and the control signal at FPGA side 

please, guide us for interfacing pin mapping at FPGA side? 

I tried to use pin planner but I don't know how to use it? 

please reply to my quires as soon as possible 

Thanks in advance
0 Kudos
16 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Put the FPGA design together and let Quartus help you. 

How many control signals is up to you and the constraints of the processor - i.e. what control signals it has to offer. You mention RD and WR. Fine. If this interface is to be shared with other peripherals then a dedicate chip select (CS) for the FPGA will be required too. If it's not shared then you can do without CS. 

Once you have an FPGA design Quartus will/can select I/O for you. Depending on any other requirements you have you're probably best guiding it through the pin planner. Keeping the Micro interface to one bank of the FPGA may be advantageous, for example. See this "my first fpga tutorial (https://www.altera.com/content/dam/altera-www/global/en_us/pdfs/literature/tt/tt_my_first_fpga.pdf)" for help with the Pin Planner - although there is plenty of other online help out there too. 

Cheers, 

Alex
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thank you, 

But still, i am not clear about the number of minimum I/O line 

Could you please let me know minimum I/O pins required to interface FPGA and Microcontroller 

Can I connect any I/O pin to MCU for address, data and control lines 

OR is there any specific pin for the MCU and FPGA interface? 

I am not able to run or check pin planner because of not aware and time limit 

if any sample document with of 10M04SCU169 pls. share link 

at least share minimum control lines required for interface
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

What micro are you using? How many I/O lines does it have for memory mapped peripherals? 

Yes - you will be able to connect the micro to any GPIO on the FPGA. There are no specific pins on the FPGA that you must use. 

Cheers, 

Alex
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

What micro are you using? How many I/O lines does it have for memory mapped peripherals? 

Yes - you will be able to connect the micro to any GPIO on the FPGA. There are no specific pins on the FPGA that you must use. 

Cheers, 

Alex 

--- Quote End ---  

Within limits, however. If the micro has 3.3V I/O, and the FPGA has multiple I/O banks, you must the I/Os populated in a compatible voltage bank. 

You may be using 1.8V or 2.5V I/O for some other interfaces, so those banks may not be compatible with a 3.3V I/O CPU interface requirement. 

So some planning will be necessary to choose where you connect the I/Os, but as indicated you will have a lot of flexibility of choice within an I/O bank.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Within limits, however. If the micro has 3.3V I/O, and the FPGA has multiple I/O banks, you must the I/Os populated in a compatible voltage bank. 

You may be using 1.8V or 2.5V I/O for some other interfaces, so those banks may not be compatible with a 3.3V I/O CPU interface requirement. 

So some planning will be necessary to choose where you connect the I/Os, but as indicated you will have a lot of flexibility of choice within an I/O bank. 

--- Quote End ---  

Thanks a Lot 

Micro is RX631 169 BGA package from Renesas, Working on 3.3V VDD 

FPGA is also working on single supply 3.3V voltage 

RX631 is having 2 WAIT signal, 6 Chip Select, Write and Read signals and 24 address and 16 data lines 

We have LAN9252 ESC interfaced to RX631 Micro by 4 address line and 15 Data Line  

So, please guide us about How to interface FPGA to Micro and LAN9252 to FPGA using address and data line 

i have attached pin mapping connection diagram  

pls. revert back with suggestion and comments  

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Cheers, 

Alex 

--- Quote End ---  

Micro is RX631 from Renesas make and 169 BGA package 

Could you please explain with example -that how to connect FPGA 10M01SCU to RX631 Micro 

pls share the other links also  

Do we required Wait signal for the interface? 

How many address and data requried ?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Micro is RX631 from Renesas make and 169 BGA package 

Could you please explain with example -that how to connect FPGA 10M01SCU to RX631 Micro 

pls share the other links also  

Do we required Wait signal for the interface? 

How many address and data requried ? 

--- Quote End ---  

From your description the uP has all 3.3V I/O, and so does your FPGA, so you can connect pins more or less as you desire. If your PCB is constrained you may want to choose an FPGA pinout that makes routing signals to your uP as simple as possible. 

As to how many address/data/select/wait lines to use, well it depends upon your application. You know that; I don't. Probably I would connect all of them, unless your FPGA is going to be I/O constrained for other signals. It is always easier to ignore or not use signals, but a lot more problematic if you need a signal that is not connected.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

From your description the uP has all 3.3V I/O, and so does your FPGA, so you can connect pins more or less as you desire. If your PCB is constrained you may want to choose an FPGA pinout that makes routing signals to your uP as simple as possible. 

As to how many address/data/select/wait lines to use, well it depends upon your application. You know that; I don't. Probably I would connect all of them, unless your FPGA is going to be I/O constrained for other signals. It is always easier to ignore or not use signals, but a lot more problematic if you need a signal that is not connected. 

--- Quote End ---  

Thank a lot 

For FPGA we have 3.3V for All I/Os 

Application means memory size required for our use? 

Or Could you please share how to decide address and the data line for particular memory size? 

For example - to access 512MB How many addresses and data lines required? 

For 1GB How much? and for 4 GB How much?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Thank a lot 

For FPGA we have 3.3V for All I/Os 

Application means memory size required for our use? 

Or Could you please share how to decide address and the data line for particular memory size? 

For example - to access 512MB How many addresses and data lines required? 

For 1GB How much? and for 4 GB How much? 

--- Quote End ---  

'Application' means what are you trying to do with the FPGA in your system. You have never said, so I can only make very general usage comments. 

As to number of address and data bits required to support a particular memory size requirement that is fairly straightforward. Number of address bits is ceil(log2(memsize)). Example, for 1Mb memory you need 20 bits. 

Data bit width depends on your uP, the memory, and required access bandwidth. So it depends on your application. 

From the questions you ask you seem to be very new to hardware and FPGA design, so I might suggest finding someone local to you that has more experience and can mentor you.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The address line usage doesn't seem to be well considered. You want mutual exclusive address ranges for network controller and FPGA. Can be either achieved by using different chip selects or a high address bit fed into an address decoder. 

The FPGA processor interface will preferably connect address bits starting at A0 (presumed this is lowest word address line) to get consecutive register addresses. 

If high bus throughput is an objective, you should check the option to clock the bus interface with BCLK.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

The address line usage doesn't seem to be well considered. You want mutual exclusive address ranges for network controller and FPGA. Can be either achieved by using different chip selects or a high address bit fed into an address decoder. 

The FPGA processor interface will preferably connect address bits starting at A0 (presumed this is lowest word address line) to get consecutive register addresses. 

If high bus throughput is an objective, you should check the option to clock the bus interface with BCLK. 

--- Quote End ---  

Thank you 

I will use BCLK for bus clock 

In our application, as i mentioned three major components 

FPGA MAX 10 series 10M04SCU169 , LAN9252 ESC and RX631 CPU 

All i want to interface to FPGA, Now which address and how many lines to use I don't know? 

please find attached block diagram - signal connection  

and revert back your review comments
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You've stated several times in this thread that you're using the RX631 in a 169 BGA package, but the package in your block diagram is clearly not a BGA. That's really not important to the discussion here but it indicates a lack of knowledge on your part about what you're doing. You have still not said what data will be passing between the FPGA and microcontroller, which is critical to knowing what kind of interface is needed. Is the interface just used for reading and writing FPGA registers? If so then a serial interface would probably suffice. If you're passing packets back and forth then the parallel interface is probably needed, but do you really need 15 address lines? 

The more information you provide about your application the better advice you'll get from the nice people here who are trying to help you.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You should know how large the intended FPGA register map is, if you possibly want additional dual port RAM. The decision rules the number of required address lines. The other parameter is data throughput. 

I already suggested a separate CS line for FPGA interface. A serial (SPI) interface would be a low pin count alternative for moderate data throughput.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Thanks a Lot 

Micro is RX631 169 BGA package from Renesas, Working on 3.3V VDD 

FPGA is also working on single supply 3.3V voltage 

RX631 is having 2 WAIT signal, 6 Chip Select, Write and Read signals and 24 address and 16 data lines 

We have LAN9252 ESC interfaced to RX631 Micro by 4 address line and 15 Data Line  

So, please guide us about How to interface FPGA to Micro and LAN9252 to FPGA using address and data line 

i have attached pin mapping connection diagram  

pls. revert back with suggestion and comments  

--- Quote End ---  

Sorry,  

Micro is 100 LQFP package 

and FPGA is 169 BGA package 

Micro will read the DPRAM data (in FPGA ), its FPGA reads the timer pulses and stores the data in DPRAM register 

then micro will read it - we have one more interface with FPGA and MIcro and i,e LAN9252 

i am confused about connection between micro, FPGA , should A0 address bit required in interface?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

You've stated several times in this thread that you're using the RX631 in a 169 BGA package, but the package in your block diagram is clearly not a BGA. That's really not important to the discussion here but it indicates a lack of knowledge on your part about what you're doing. You have still not said what data will be passing between the FPGA and microcontroller, which is critical to knowing what kind of interface is needed. Is the interface just used for reading and writing FPGA registers? If so then a serial interface would probably suffice. If you're passing packets back and forth then the parallel interface is probably needed, but do you really need 15 address lines? 

The more information you provide about your application the better advice you'll get from the nice people here who are trying to help you. 

--- Quote End ---  

Sorry,  

Micro is 100 pin LQFP package 

and FPGA is 169 BGA package  

Micro will read the DPRAM register (in FPGA ), actually FPGA connected to encoder and FPGA reads the timer pulses and stores the data in DPRAM register 

then micro will read it - we have one more interface with FPGA and MIcro and i,e LAN9252 EtherCAT slave  

i am confused about connection between Micro, FPGA , should I connect A0 address bit to A1 in micro side or how it is? 

pls confirm the connection diagram , if any correction pls correct and revert back attacehment 

we want to use parallel interface among all Ic's 

project timeline is only one month, and not enough time to read all datasheet of FPGA 

pls. help
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

You should know how large the intended FPGA register map is, if you possibly want additional dual port RAM. The decision rules the number of required address lines. The other parameter is data throughput. 

I already suggested a separate CS line for FPGA interface. A serial (SPI) interface would be a low pin count alternative for moderate data throughput. 

--- Quote End ---  

yes, we want to use DPRAM from the FPGA 

if the signal diagram is incorrect, pls advise  

what and where to correct in diagram.
0 Kudos