Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20705 Discussions

Cyclone III: Using PLL_CLKOUT (Clock Out) pin as general purpose IO?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello there, 

Can anyone tell me this possibility? I would like to use it as input or output, as per other IOs. If yes, what is the input capacitance? I couldn't find explicit answer neither in the handbook nor the pinout xls. 

Much appreciated!
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I think, both questions are clearly answered in the device handbook respectively pinout tables. 

The pinout table clarifies, that PLLx_CLKOUT is an optional function of particular regular IO pins. (The basic function is indicated in the column Pin Name/Function). So any of these pins can be used for regular IO, if not required as dedicated clock output. 

Regarding pin capacitances, Table 1-9 in Cyclone III Device Handbook lists the standard and special pins capacitances. The said dedicated clock output pins are obviuosly belonging to the category I/O pin. This isn't surprizing because they are regular I/O pins. Their optional function doesn't involve changes to the I/O cell itself rather than input connectivity only.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

Why I asked this is because there is a fine print at the bottom of table 7-2 of C3 Handbook...it says "User I/O pins are used as inputs or outputs; clock input pins are used as inputs only; clock output pins are used as output only" I think it is ONLY refering to differential I/O only... 

There is no "dedicated clock output" in table 1-9 (C3 datasheet) but there is "delicated LVDS output". Are you referring to this? But PLLx_clock_output is located at bank 3 4 7 8, or top/bottom....and not left/right... 

--- Quote Start ---  

I think, both questions are clearly answered in the device handbook respectively pinout tables. 

The pinout table clarifies, that PLLx_CLKOUT is an optional function of particular regular IO pins. (The basic function is indicated in the column Pin Name/Function). So any of these pins can be used for regular IO, if not required as dedicated clock output. 

Regarding pin capacitances, Table 1-9 in Cyclone III Device Handbook lists the standard and special pins capacitances. The said dedicated clock output pins are obviuosly belonging to the category I/O pin. This isn't surprizing because they are regular I/O pins. Their optional function doesn't involve changes to the I/O cell itself rather than input connectivity only. 

--- Quote End ---  

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I think, it should be clear in my post, that I used "the said dedicated clock outputs" as another word for PLLx_CLKOUT. There are no other clock outputs available with Cyclone III. 

As table 7-2 is dealing with differential I/O, the said note (1) is obviously referring to the availability of differential pairs among total I/O pins. Differential clkout pairs (or PLLx_OUTPUT, which is, as you should have learned now, the same for Cyclone family) can be used as regular I/O, but not as standard differential (=LVDS data) in- or output.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Ok, I will have a try before I design my PCB. Your quick response and help is greatly apprecaited! :)

0 Kudos