Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16595 Discussions

OpenCL library example1 - aocl-opt error

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello! 

I am interested in packaging VHDL code as a part of OpenCL library. I am trying to run the examples listed on the website https://www.altera.com/support/support-resources/design-examples/design-software/opencl/library-design-example.html  

This is specific to example 1, but I get the same error for example 2 as well. 

I have followed the steps in the Readme.html present in the package. 

dg252267@is231451:/local2/library_example1/device/lib1$ ls c_model.cl div double_lib.aoclib double_lib.aoco double_lib.h double_lib.xml dspba_library rsqrt sqrt dg252267@is231451:/local2/library_example1/device/lib1$ aocl library hdl-comp-pkg double_lib.xml -o double_lib.aoco dg252267@is231451:/local2/library_example1/device/lib1$ aocl library create -name double_lib double_lib.aoco dg252267@is231451:/local2/library_example1/device/lib1$ cp double_lib.aoclib .. dg252267@is231451:/local2/library_example1/device/lib1$ cd ../../ dg252267@is231451:/local2/library_example1$ ls bin device host Makefile README.html dg252267@is231451:/local2/library_example1$ aoc device/example1.cl -o bin/example1.aocx -I device/lib1 -L device -l double_lib.aoclib --board alaric_v3_prod aocl-opt: Too many positional arguments specified! Can specify at most 1 positional arguments: See: /local2/is231451/intelFPGA_pro/16.1/hld/linux64/bin/aocl-opt -help Error: Optimizer FAILED. Refer to example1/example1.log for details. dg252267@is231451:/local2/library_example1$ aoc -march=emulator device/example1.cl -o bin/example1.aocx -I device/lib1 -L device -l double_lib.aoclib --board alaric_v3_prod aocl-opt: Too many positional arguments specified! Can specify at most 1 positional arguments: See: /local2/intelFPGA_pro/16.1/hld/linux64/bin/aocl-opt -help Error: Optimizer FAILED. Refer to example1/example1.log for details.  

I have tried the command both with and without the emulator. 

If I run aocl-opt - help , I get a list of available parameters that I can pass on. My issue is, the example1.cl does not use this command. And the device libraries are obfuscated code, so I cannot actually see where the aocl-opt is being called.  

I have tried the multi vector add example and it executed successfully. I haven't tried the other 2 examples listed as they are for v17.0 and I am using v16.1.  

I am targeting ReflexCES alaric Arria 10 board. I am running this example on Ubuntu 14.04. 

Has anyone come across this error before? I welcome any suggestions. 

Thank you!
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I had the same error with code I made (not from the examples form Intel).  

Also, I've tried the step you did with the example 1 and everything worked fine : no error. 

When I got this error, as strange as it could be, I only moved my code on my desktop, repeat the exact same thing as you did and it compiled. 

I was working from a SVN repository and a path with spaces in it.  

So try to move your code somewhere safe with short path, no spaces and on C drive (because I don't see any drive in the path you're using). 

As a difference, I am working on Windows, so it is possible that it may not fix your issue 

Try this and let us know if it worked !
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Tibs, 

Thank you for the suggestion. I did have a space in my $PATH variable and the folder name ( I had edited the path to put in the forum). Moving the code elsewhere fixed it.  

Thank you! :)
0 Kudos