FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP

Picture in Picture

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Sorry if this is a dumb question .... I can't figure out how Picture in a Picture should work. Assuming I take an image, clip it to just grab a part of the picture and then scale it, how do I place it on a given location of the output picture (with, I assume, the alpha mixer)?  

I think that the clip function isn't completely obvious to me. Assume the input of a 100x100 image that is clipped with a rectangle of 30x30 starting at 10,10 do you end up with a 30x30 image or a 100x100 with all pixels outside the 30x30 clip area as black??? 

Thanks, 

Phil
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

1 - Yes, the mixer will position all layers on top of the background layer. So, the background layer should contain your full-size video, then layer 1 would contain the foreground image. 

2 - The clipper keeps a rectangle of video. so your 30x30 rectangle would result in a video output of 30x30. The remainder of the picture will be removed entirely. 

Jake
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks for the quick response! So then, is there a function in the VIP that would put that 30x30 at a given location of a larger image so that the pinp could be in the top right or top left or whereever?? 

Thanks again, 

Phil
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Yes. The mixer is the block that provides that function. 

Jake
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You are right and its work very fluently.

0 Kudos