Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16559 Discussions

take pin connection from reference design?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

hello, i'm jackeroo in this area. Can anybody help me, how can i take the pin connection from reference design.  

i have a reference design for my eval-board. now i create a new porject in QuartusII, i modify the reference SOPC data(only add a CAN ip-core in SOPC) and save it in my new project. now i want to have the same pin connection like reference design, because the pin connetion fit the eval-board. how can i take the pin connection from reference design? 

i tried to import the reference design '.qsf' data in QuartusII under "assingments"->"import assingments". But the I/O name doesn't agree to the neu project. 

thanks in advance 

Niu
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Pin assignments are available: 

1 - In the assignment editor 

2 - In the QSF file 

What I would do is: 

1 - In the reference project, open the pin planner. 

2 - Click File->Export 

3 - Change the "Save as type" to TCL. 

4 - Export the pin assignments to a TCL file. 

Now you have a TCL file with the pin assignments. You can edit it or whatever. Then just run it in your new project "Tools->TCL Scripts". 

Jake
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

thanks jake. aber i was really confused.  

i did what you told me. after run the Tcl script, i recompile it in Quartus II. then i open the .pin data, the pin connection look totally different. 

the reference design has own's I/O pin name. the I/O name in my project is different in reference design. Is that the possible reason? how can i do? 

thanks!:)
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

yes, you'll want to reflect the names in the reference design in your project if you want to copy the pin assignments verbatim.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

thanks for your reply. how can i reflect the names in the reference design in my neu project? should i manual to modify it or i can use some tools to modify it.

0 Kudos