Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20705 Discussions

help me please -cyclone device

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

can you tell wath do an altera FPGA device need to be operable. if i buy an cyclone fpga what other thins i need to buy to design my hardware?
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You have not provided enough details for us to help you out. 

Just get a development board with the Cyclone from a vendor. It will have enough hardware on there to get to started.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Starting with a Dev Kit is a good suggestion. On the other hand, you can start a hardware design from the scratch as you would do e.g. with a microprocessor. The device handbook contains all necessary information, but some design experience is required to understand it completely, I think. 

To answer the question strictly, you need at least a dual (VCCINT/VCCIO) power supply, a clock source, nonvolatile configuration memory (not absolutely necessary during test), a JTAG connector and the user IO to be interfaced with the FPGA. 

Also an Altera or compatible third party USB Blaster or Byte Blaster.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

hi guys, thanks for the help. This is my situation: 

my overall system is an  

ADC --> FIR filter --> upsampling(4) --> DAC.  

I've already implemented the above system using a stratix II DSP kit. Now i want to build my own hardware (prototype) using only the necessary elements with a cyclone fpga. can you list me what are the elements do i need to make this system?
0 Kudos