Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20703 Discussions

what is the mesage box in sopc builder system

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi 

I am trying to emulate an ip core with the system design sopc tool .There by need to implement the message box functionality.I have doubt regarding the hardware message box.Its given the quartusII handbook that message box has two mutex, does this mean that it itself has two mutex which can be carried by the mssage box functions or the user need to implement seperate mutex and connect it to the meassage along the sopc.I also looked into .v file the generated after system generation in sopc builder,but couldnt get a satisfying answer. 

Kindly help me out. 

Regards 

nksom
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

They are hardware mutexes that are included in the core. The user just needs to call the API functions provided by Altera to use the mutexes.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

thanks loads for reply 

i understud that but i am talking about the message mutex. 

Is the mutex accessed by the message box hardcored or the user has to connect sepearate mutexes along with the mailbox to access it. 

If at all implemented the mutex and message box in your project please send me the documents or files related to it 

Regards 

Nksom
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I don't understand your question... The mutexes are in the core, you don't need any other mutex to use it.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

HI 

thanks for your reply. 

I am talking about the mailbox component in sopc system components. 

In the quartus handbook about the mailbox its given that mailbox has two mutexes one to ensure read from and one to write to the mailbox.In my design i want to implement mailbox+ two mutex combo.I want to know whether i have to connect two seperate mutexes along the mailbox or is oit already hardcored with in the mailbox .If its hardcored then how can i call it through the functions.Kindly help me out with some examples. 

Regards 

Nksom
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You can use the functions that have been written in the HAL, and that are documented in the "Mailbox API" chapter of the documentation (http://www.altera.com/literature/hb/nios2/n2cpu_nii53001.pdf?gsa_pos=3&wt.oss_r=1&wt.oss=mailbox). All the low-level handling of the mutexes is done for you.

0 Kudos