Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)

Import of sdc

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

I'm new here and still studying Quartus. I currently have a module and also have an SDC file for its constraints. 

Is it possible to import an existing project and it's SDC as a submodule of a new project?  

Do I need to change the SDC (specially those constraints accessing collections of ports) since the design will now be a module in the project? 

I have heard about bottom-up flow, will this apply? 

regards, 

Edzel
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Hello, 

I'm new here and still studying Quartus. I currently have a module and also have an SDC file for its constraints. 

Is it possible to import an existing project and it's SDC as a submodule of a new project?  

Do I need to change the SDC (specially those constraints accessing collections of ports) since the design will now be a module in the project? 

I have heard about bottom-up flow, will this apply? 

regards, 

Edzel 

--- Quote End ---  

Hi Edzel, 

as far as I know you can use only one SDC file in a Quartus project. In case that the ports of the submodule are toplevel ports also you can reuse your SDC settings otherwise you can skip it. 

Kind regards 

GPK
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You can add multiple SDC files to the project. You can also add a line to your main SDC file to "source" other SDC files if you'd prefer to do it that way. So just compile the component into your design like you normally would and add the SDC file to the list of SDC files for the project. 

Jake
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks for the tip! I'll be trying this out. 

regards, 

edzel
0 Kudos