FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
6352 Discussions

DCFIFO rdusedw and rdreq

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Dear All, 

I've instantiated a DCFIFO (Cyclone II). The read and write clocks are not synchronized to each other. 

I'm using a signal synchronized to the rdclk as the rdreq which is approximately 5 times slower than the rdclk (I can't use my rdreq itself as a clock for other reasons).  

What I observe in SignalTap is that the rdusedw is updated at a higher frequency than that of my rdreq. 

I understand that in a DCFIFO, rdusedw is derived from the read pointer. In that case shouldn't it get updated at the rdreq

Is there anything I'm mising? 

P.S.: I'm using rdclk as the SignalTap sampling clock.
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The rdusedw is the number of words in fifo as seen in rd clk domain

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I'm not sure I understand. If you assert rdreq for five rdclk cycles, you will see the rdusedw decrement by a value of 5. Everything is based off of the clock. rdreq is not an edge-detect signal. A read is performed at every clock cycle where rdreq is asserted. 

Jake
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Also, please try to post your questions only in one section of the forum. It's difficult to have a discussion in multiple places. 

Jake
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The rdreq signal is high only for one clock duration (of the rdclk) and low for the remaining four clocks.  

I understand that the rdusedw is updated with the rdclk. I also understand that the rdreq is just used as a read enable and there is no significance of it's edge. But what I expect is that the rdusedw should get updated when something is 'read' from the read port, not at other clock cycles of rdclk

Nagaraj
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

When you say "updated", do you mean rdusedw is decreased?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

But what I expect is that the rdusedw should get updated when something is 'read' from the read port, not at other clock cycles of rdclk

Nagaraj 

--- Quote End ---  

The number of fifo words can change by either a write or read operation. The wrusedw is updated synchronised to wr clk, shortly the rdusedw is updated synchronised to rd clk irrespective of rdreq
0 Kudos