Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20688 Discussions

scrolling message display

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

hello... 

i`m going to do scrolling message display project using Verilog and hardware implementation using FPGA chips.Anybody can help me? :o thank you.
0 Kudos
9 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

it`s seems nobody wanna help me....:(

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

It is very difficult to answer a question so broad and so loose. Try to be more specific, about your hardware implementation, and about what exactly you don't know how to do it.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

thx vjAlter.. 

actually i`m going to do this project using maxplus/quartus software and hardware implementation using up2/up3 board.. the problem now i don`t know how to build the source code (verilog hdl) or schematic diagram.. if can i wanna get some advise from altera expert. sorry if my English very bad.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

actually i`m going to do this project using maxplus/quartus software and hardware implementation using up2/up3 board.. the problem now i don`t know how to build the source code (verilog hdl) or schematic diagram.. if can i wanna get some advise from altera expert. sorry if my English very bad.thx

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I'm not familiar with these old boards. It would be quite different depending on the board, because I see the up2 has a VGA output interface, but the up3 has instead an LCD module. 

Anyway, it doesn't really sound as a project reasonable for a beginner. You should start with a very basic design until becoming more familiar with the software tools, Verilog and your hardware. 

I would start with something like reading the push buttons and driving the board LEDs. Try also to grab some Verilog introductory book, or at least some Verilog introduction available on-line.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

@anas, 

--- Quote Start ---  

actually i`m going to do this project using maxplus/quartus software and hardware implementation using up2/up3 board.. the problem now i don`t know how to build the source code (verilog hdl) or schematic diagram.. if can i wanna get some advise from altera expert. sorry if my English very bad.thx 

--- Quote End ---  

I propose that you buy the book by James O. Hamblen, "Rapid Prototyping of Digital Systems". It gives a nice introduction to FPGA design and provides all the information you need to realize this project on your UP2/UP3 board.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

thanks to vjalter and sanmao.. i will find all the basic regarding verilog.. this project maybe not suitable for beginner but as 4th yr student i must do this project for my 'final yr project'.. unfortunately this project goes to me.. i already do research about this title and usually peoples use microcontroller to implement this project.. thanks again coz helping me..

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

@anas, 

I propose that you buy the book by James O. Hamblen, "Rapid Prototyping of Digital Systems". It gives a nice introduction to FPGA design and provides all the information you need to realize this project on your UP2/UP3 board. 

--- Quote End ---  

i have this book and other versions of it on .pdf: 

-Rapid Prototyping of Digital Systems 

-Rapid Prototyping of Digital Systems (SOPC version) 

-Rapid Prototyping of Digital Systems (QUARTUS version) 

if anyone are interested on them, send me a message and i'll send you a megaupload/rapidshare link to download the ebooks. ;)
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

this project maybe not suitable for beginner but as 4th yr student i must do this project for my 'final yr project'.. unfortunately this project goes to me.. i already do research about this title and usually peoples use microcontroller to implement this project 

--- Quote End ---  

A micro makes more sense for this project and it would usually be much easier than a FPGA design. But it depends on the output interface. A microcontroller can easily drive an LCD module, but it usually can't drive a VGA interface without extra hardware. 

You can still implement this with an FPGA. But first learn the basics, then move on to the specifics of your project.
0 Kudos