Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers

sof2flash

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

i want to create a flash file with the nios2 shell the problem is, if i use sof2flash it creates a EPCS128 file but i have a EPCS16 file: 

$ sof2flash --epcs --input=FPGA.sof --output=FPGA.flash Info: ******************************************************************* Info: Running Quartus II Convert_programming_file Info: Command: quartus_cpf --no_banner --convert --device=EPCS128 --option=FPGA.opt FPGA.sof FPGA.pof Info: Using INI file c:/altera/90/quartus/bin/quartus.ini Info: Quartus II Convert_programming_file was successful. 0 errors, 0 warnings Info: Peak virtual memory: 78 megabytes Info: Processing ended: Wed Sep 09 12:56:12 2009 Info: Elapsed time: 00:00:09 Info: Total CPU time (on all processors): 00:00:04 Info: ******************************************************************* Info: Running Quartus II Convert_programming_file Info: Command: quartus_cpf --no_banner --convert FPGA.pof FPGA.rpd Info: Using INI file c:/altera/90/quartus/bin/quartus.ini Info: Quartus II Convert_programming_file was successful. 0 errors, 0 warnings Info: Peak virtual memory: 72 megabytes Info: Processing ended: Wed Sep 09 12:56:24 2009 Info: Elapsed time: 00:00:12 Info: Total CPU time (on all processors): 00:00:05 $ 

is there a way to change that?
0 Kudos
8 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

That doesn't matter. As has been stated before, on this Forum and the Nios Forum, EPCS devices are just OEMed serial (SPI) flash devices. 

Are you having other issues that caused you to post this topic thread? 

Best Regards, 

- Ura
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

if i create a *.jic file using quartus i can flash my epcs. 

if i try to flash the epcs using the nios2 shell i get an error: 

$ sof2flash --epcs --input=FPGA.sof --output=FPGA.flash Info: ******************************************************************* Info: Running Quartus II Convert_programming_file Info: Command: quartus_cpf --no_banner --convert --device=EPCS128 --option=FPGA. opt FPGA.sof FPGA.pof Info: Using INI file c:/altera/90/quartus/bin/quartus.ini Info: Quartus II Convert_programming_file was successful. 0 errors, 0 warnings Info: Peak virtual memory: 78 megabytes Info: Processing ended: Thu Sep 10 07:34:48 2009 Info: Elapsed time: 00:00:09 Info: Total CPU time (on all processors): 00:00:04 Info: ******************************************************************* Info: Running Quartus II Convert_programming_file Info: Command: quartus_cpf --no_banner --convert FPGA.pof FPGA.rpd Info: Using INI file c:/altera/90/quartus/bin/quartus.ini Info: Quartus II Convert_programming_file was successful. 0 errors, 0 warnings Info: Peak virtual memory: 72 megabytes Info: Processing ended: Thu Sep 10 07:35:00 2009 Info: Elapsed time: 00:00:11 Info: Total CPU time (on all processors): 00:00:05 $ nios2-flash-programmer --epcs --base=0x2000 --instance=1 FPGA.flash Using cable "USB-Blaster ", device 1, instance 0x01 Resetting and pausing target processor: OK No EPCS registers found: tried looking at addresses 0x00002000, 0x00002100, 0x00002200, 0x00002300 and 0x00002400 Leaving target processor paused 

and yes my epcs is at that address: 

#define EPCS_CONTROLLER_NAME "/dev/epcs_controller"# define EPCS_CONTROLLER_TYPE "altera_avalon_epcs_flash_controller"# define EPCS_CONTROLLER_BASE 0x00002000 

any ideas? :)
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Which device are you using? Check to make sure you've got the configuration pins set up correctly in the device settings 

Assignments->Device->Device And Pin Options->Dual-Purpose Pins 

Jake
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

i can't see the epcs pins there. 

why do they have to be regular I/O pins? 

doesn't the problem say that there are no epcs regs at the specified address?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Are you sure you've got the right FPGA image programmed into the FPGA and is your design meeting timing requirements? 

jake
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

An EPCS device is really just a SPI (serial) flash. So, the epcs_controller, in your SOPC Builder system, acts as a SPI master talking to the SPI slave (serial flash EPCS device). 

Depending upon your device, the SPI signals are either connected automatically for you or you have to do it at the top-level of your design. 

When connected automatically, you have to ensure that your Dual Purpose pins settings will allow the ASMI/SPI signals to function properly...which is what Jake was referring to. 

Cheers, and Good luck! 

- Ura
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Are you sure you've got the right FPGA image programmed into the FPGA and is your design meeting timing requirements? 

jake 

--- Quote End ---  

I'm runnig uClinux on that image and normal IDE stuff so timing requirements are fine. 

I'm able to flash the EPCS using the programmer, doesn't that mean my pins are fine or is the programmer using other ways to transmit data ? :eek:
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The JIC method downloads it's own firmware image into the part then uses JTAG to program the flash indirectly. The nios2-programmer method depends on your design. It expects that your design is loaded. It then uses JTAG commands to access the flash through your design. 

Jake
0 Kudos