Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16612 Discussions

schematic entry & parameters

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I need some hint on this issue.. I have a building block (call it A)..I use this block several times with different parameters (x,y,z)..On my top level design, I am using schematic entry...This parameter (x) is also used in another block (call it B)....Now I am wondering is there a way I can define this parameters (x) to be a global one that applied to both A&B?.. 

Thanks 

p.s. PARAM primitives....I was trying to use it..but no luck...any one has some experience?
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I figured it out..never mind guys.. 

--- Quote Start ---  

Hi, 

I need some hint on this issue.. I have a building block (call it A)..I use this block several times with different parameters (x,y,z)..On my top level design, I am using schematic entry...This parameter (x) is also used in another block (call it B)....Now I am wondering is there a way I can define this parameters (x) to be a global one that applied to both A&B?.. 

Thanks 

p.s. PARAM primitives....I was trying to use it..but no luck...any one has some experience? 

--- Quote End ---  

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Care to share how it is done?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

There are two ways.. 

1). In Assignments->Settings-> Under "Anaylsis & Synthesis Settings", there's a "Default Parameters". Click on that, then you can enter the parameter name and default setting. In my case, I can add "x" and a default value of "63" for example. This default value will be used everywhere parameter named "x" is used, providing that no other value is assigned to it at a specific block. 

2). The draw back for 1) is it's not visualizable on the top level schematic entry design file. It would be tricky for other people to see where "x" takes its value...The second way is that on the top level schematic entry design file, for each block used parameter "x", assigned a value "x_value" to "x". x_value should be defined to have the proper type (integer or binary etc)..Then add PARAM primitives and define "x_value" and assign a specifc value for example "63". 

--- Quote Start ---  

Care to share how it is done? 

--- Quote End ---  

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thank you for the explanation - I always wondered if that was possible.

0 Kudos