Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++

elf2flash error

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I use the IDE to complier a programme.error:elf2fash boot copier overlaps 

data in flash .I don't know why? My programme have problem or other ? 

Thank you!
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Do you set the proper Address in the SOPC Builder?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

When you use the flash programmer, it populates the beginning of the flash with the bootloader. Have you stuck some read only data in that location?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi BadOmen, 

Here you say the bootloader which is at the beginning of the flash. I want to know what bootloader here it is.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You don't want to be running code out of flash (you can but it's better just to populate it into the flash and let the bootloader move it). 

You also can't have your write data section in flash either (flash doesn't support writing a single byte or word at a time). 

If you want to avoid having the bootloader there, you can manually do the flash programming from the Nios II SDK shell and when you go to create the software flash file you do not specify the --boot command (watch the command lines in the IDE to see what the flash programmer is doing). 

But before doing that can you explain exactly where you want to boot from, and where you have located your code (text, rodata, rwdata). Also are you using a reference design or is this a system you made yourself?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I also got the same error information when I am running the Nios II IDE with the "Hello World" Example. 

The followings are those error message, could you take a quick look at them? 

Kind Status Priority Description Resource In Folder Location 

Error *** [ext_flash.flash] Error 5 hello_world_0  

Error 53 PM - (??) elf2flash: Error generating Flash file, exiting[Jan 19, 2005 2] hello_world_0 line 58 

Error 53 PM - (??) elf2flash: Error reading boot copier[Jan 19, 2005 2] hello_world_0 line 58 

Error 53 PM - (??) elf2flash: Read error: File not found: /boot_loader_cfi.srec[Jan 19, 2005 2] hello_world_0 line 58
0 Kudos