Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12606 Discussions

Access linker symbol from .C file

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I'm trying to access a linker symbol from my C file. The idea is to find out where the end of my code and R/O memory is in flash so I can use the remainder for storage. I have the following in my .c file: 

.C file: 

extern int __ram_rodata_end; 

void *p = &__ram_rodata_end; 

The .map file shows the symbol __ram_rodata_end like this: 

0x01014f20 PROVIDE (__ram_rodata_end, <code 336> (.)) 

But the linker gives me the error below. If I use a symbol that&#39;s in reach (e.g. __sbss_end) everything works and p points to the end of data. The format in the map file is exactly the same so I know that&#39;s not the problem. 

Linker error: 

../test.c:33: Unable to reach __ram_rodata_end (at 0x01014f20) from the global pointer (at 0x0101ed34) because the offset (-40468) is out of the allowed range, -32678 to 32767. 

Here&#39;s the assembly code causing the problem: 

145 0100 040080D0 addi r2,gp,%gprel(__ram_rodata_end) 

146 0104 150680E0 stw r2,24(fp) 

Is there an easy way of getting the value of a linker symbol into a C variable? I&#39;m not above using inline assembly with a global or static variable to get the value. 

Thanks, 

Andrew
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Ok, I&#39;ll answer my own question. To access a linker symbol that&#39;s out of reach use the following code: 

extern int __ram_rodata_end[]; 

printf("%x\n", __ram_rodata_end); 

That&#39;ll print out the same value you&#39;ll see in the .map file. The trick is to use an array declaration which forces GCC to use full-range addressing. 

Thanks to David Brooks on comp.arch.embedded for the answer. 

Andrew
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The problem you had is related to the fact that you declared the extern variable as "int", that means the compiler will generate GP-relative addressing, that is not the right one in your case. 

Take a look at the post "Disabling GP-addressing in generated source code" on this forum... 

bye 

PJ
0 Kudos