Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12605 Discussions

Flash programmer does not verify on custom board

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi All, 

I've been working with QuartusII 5.0 and the NiosII core (also 5.0) in the Cyclone II devkit ep2c35 part. I do not yet have a custom board but I am trying to get things with this Nios core worked out, on the devboard, before I design my board. 

I have designed a processor with a custom peripheral, it works on the devboard when I use the factory TARGET BOARD, it downloads and runs fine. 

Here is the problem, I followed the instructions in the flash programmer manual to port the flash programmer to a custom board. My custom board has only one flash device (EPCS16). I am able to generate the flash programmer and it shows up in the target board list. When I use the custom target board to program my devboard it reads the EPCS device slowly, it seems to try to write to it but it will not verify.  

I have tried a pll to speed up the clock but it still reads very slow (about half the speed of the factory target board). 

I have followed the manual to the letter and have generated the target board several times with the same result. 

Does anyone have any ideas!!! 

Best Regards 

Tim
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Problem solved (kind of) 

It seems it needed a CFI interface(even though it's not connected to anything). It now programs and runs ok but still very slow about half the speed of the factory target board. 

anyone know how to speed this up? 

Thanks 

Tim
0 Kudos