Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++

Licensing

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Who could tell me more about the licensing ? 

The people in uClinux.org say that Microtronix board haven't a ported version from them, just from here.  

So, is this uClinux version open source ? 

And what about the cores ? Why I need a licensed NIOS to have the cores ? I know why I need a license to build the core, so far so good, but what about the rest ?
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

About the uClinux being open source, never mind, I&#39;ve found the source in the disk (I should search in the disk a little more http://forum.niosforum.com/work2/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif ) 

But the question about the cores remains. 

And why uClinux.org say Microtronix board isn&#39;t supported / ported ? They doesn&#39;t even have a link to here ... I&#39;ve received an email saying that this version of uClinux if far different from their ...
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

originally posted by arthur+jun 17 2005, 04:31 pm--><div class='quotetop'>quote (arthur @ jun 17 2005, 04:31 pm)</div> 

--- quote start ---  

who could tell me more about the licensing ?[/b] 

--- quote end ---  

uclinux is open source (gpl). this means that, at the very least, you will need to include a written offer to your clients that they can get the source code of your modifications for the cost of shipping and handling. 

--- quote start ---  

originally posted by arthur@jun 17 2005, 04:31 pm 

the people in uclinux.org say that microtronix board haven&#39;t a ported version from them, just from here.  

so, is this uclinux version open source ? 

--- quote end ---  

i do not fully understand what you are saying here, but i would assume that uclinux.org does not want to support the work of microtronix. this might just be that the authors of uclinux.org feel more comfortable with their own ports or because they do not get the modifications in a easy to read form of the nios ii port (unified diff). considering the download, i would assume the latter (i spent quite some time in creating clean patches instead of the source code mess in the zip file). 

<!--quotebegin-arthur@Jun 17 2005, 04:31 PM 

and what about the cores ? why i need a licensed nios to have the cores ? i know why i need a license to build the core, so far so good, but what about the rest ? 

--- Quote End ---  

That&#39;s FPGA code, I would assume that, unless you are using opencores.org stuff, you will not need to provide your modifications to the community.
0 Kudos