Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++

how to use jtag server

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

i set a computer as a jtag server,the computer has lpt1.then i use my notbook load this server, but i can not add the server jtag as the hardware! but why? 

my icq is 271-753-694
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Sorry to hooking on to this question, but I have similar problem on using the jtagserver on windows xp sp2. 

Search on www.altera.com and nios forum on jtagServer gives surprisingly little help as to how to actually use the jtag server. 

1.) Whats the syntax to use on the client side to identify the server? 

2.) How to setup the windows firewall to enable the necessary ports? I guess I need to know the ports used by the server in order to open these? 

In my case I use usbBlaster but 

any hints and manual pointers are appreciated
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Err, not sure what you mean by "use the JTAG server". It's there and should just work without special configuration. 

If you want to connect applications on one machine to JTAG cables on another (remote JTAG) then you will need to let TCP port 1309 through the firewall on the machine with the JTAG cables attached. Then set a password on the machine with the cables and tell the machine with the applications the name of the other machine and its password. 

IE. First, on the machine with the hardware: 

1) Open TCP port 1309 on firewall. 

2) `jtagconfig --enableremote <password>` 

Then, on the machine with the applications: 

3) `jtagconfig --addserver <name> <password>` 

4) `jtagconfig` (just to check that it worked). 

After this it should appear as an option in the GUI dropdown lists as normal. We&#39;ve run some tests on hardware halfway around the world and everything works OK, but a little slowly.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks Wombat, 

You guessed correctly. I want to use the USB-blaster hardware located on a remote machine to program the fpga/flash on a devices attached there. 

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div> 

--- Quote Start ---  

IE. First, on the machine with the hardware: 

1) Open TCP port 1309 on firewall. 

2) `jtagconfig --enableremote <password>` 

Then, on the machine with the applications: 

3) `jtagconfig --addserver <name> <password>` 

4) `jtagconfig` (just to check that it worked).[/b] 

--- Quote End ---  

I succeded to get a hole through the firewall as you describe. and basically get all the points 1 to 4 to work. For others info, the <name> is the ip-number, which can be found typing ipconfig /all in a command prompt on the remote machine. You can also use the alias host name likewise found with ipconfig command. 

I managed to get it working and programmed a flash on the remote machine:) It did not work right away though. The local machines Q II 5.0 programmer&#39;s hardware setup could see the remote programming hardware but somehow did not accept it as selected target (just ignored it and kept displaying "No hardware"). Suddenly though for no apparent reason it worked as expected, and I could select the remote target. 

Yes speed is slowish, but still faster than a byte-blaster on a local LPT port! 

I did though find the process somewhat unreliable (this time from IDE 5.0 flash programming interface, not Q5.0 programmer) and only roughly every second attempt of programming succeded. Generally it failed with a "Unable to synchronize with target" failure, but also a few other errors like read-error were seen. 

Has anyone got a pointer to some documentation of the jtagServer.. apart from typing "jtagconfig --extrahelp" in a dos prompt? I failed to locate this documentation on www.altera.com. For instance the required port number is not documented with the -- extrahelp command 

Sybase2008, do you get anything out of that? Sorry I grabed your flag.  

Regards
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

i meet the same condition in using 5.0 

but i find 5.0 can be used as server,but not be used client! 

so i use 4.2 as client , i succeed in programming!
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

do u have icq number,ro msn?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I used Q5.0 as both client and server.  

Sorry, no icq or msn addresses. 

Personally I find that in the interest of the forum all communication should preferably go through the forum&#39;s open pages. 

regards
0 Kudos