Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12603 Discussions

I have problem with functional simulation with

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

In the tutorial it says In Quartus, there are two types of simulation. 

1) Functional 

2) Timing 

For Functional, you do not need a schematic. Functional means there  

are zero delays...only the function is simulated. 

For Timing, the actual delays are shown in the waveforms. 

I'm doing funtional simulation of LEDs & Push Buttons. I always get the Error: Run Generate Functional Simulation Netlist (quartus_map Dip_PB_Led --generate_functional_sim_netlist) to generate functional simulation netlist for top level entity "Dip_PB_Led" before running the Simulator (quartus_sim).  

I&#39;m following the tutorial to do the testing. My wave file look like the tutorial. I don&#39;t know what is wrong with this testing. Does somebody knows about this problem? http://forum.niosforum.com/work2/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/unsure.gif
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Now I know what is wrong. The tutorial is not so clearly. Man must do Simulator tool, click on the Generate funtional simulation netlist, then do start simulation. 

But then I get another problem. I give CLOCK 20.8ns period to clk, give 0-40ns force low(0) to reset_b, give clock 400ns period and 200ns phase to PBSwitch. Then I do the start simulation. I get output of Led is "1111". It does not change. It should be output like "1111","1110","1101".... 

Do you know what is wrong with my vector wave form?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

hi kvinna, 

It is fundamental and has nothing to do with nios (This is niosforum). Just follow the prompt: Before doing funtional simulation you shall generate functional simulation netlist yourself. It is under Processing menu->generate functional simulation netlist. 

You&#39;d better do timing simulation instead of functional simulation because functional simulation results can not stand for the actual FPGA working situation. The real world can not exist without delay. 

If you want to do functional simulation you can turn to use modelsim to do that. It&#39;s more powerful than QII.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

hi seu_xugh, 

I have to do the simulation to must finish my LEDs&PB testing. I always get output of Led is "1111". It does not change. It should be output like "1111","1110","1101"....  

Do you know what is wrong?
0 Kudos