Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12589 Discussions

Linux or Windows-based tools for developing S/W

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

We are just about to start porting some Linux code that was developed under the Red Hat Linux environment to run under uCLinux. Most of the PC's and development tools in our office are Windows-based but we have the option of running in a Linux (Red Hat) environment. 

So far, I have only used the Windows-based tools to generate a kernel, a file system, and ran through the tutorial that came with the Nios II development board. My initial reaction is that compiling the code for the kernel on my 3.2 GHz Windows XP machine was slower than it should be. Is this partially due to the need to use cygwin for running all the necessary scripts? Would this process be any faster if I was running on a native Linux machine? 

I would be interested in hearing what anyone is willing to share about their good and/or bad experiences using the Altera tool chain (Quartus, SOPC Builder, Nios II IDE) and the Nios II Embedded Processor Tools.  

We are currently planning on using the uCLinux Distribution Version 1.3 (2.6.9 kernel), Quartus II, v4.2-SP1, and the Nios II Embedded Processor Tools, v1.1. I would like to make a somewhat informed decision on which development environment would be best to use before we get too deep into the development cycle. 

Thanks in advance for your input. 

Sincerely, 

Brad.
0 Kudos
0 Replies