Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12603 Discussions

How to make linux_No_time_limited.sof? [RESOLVED]

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello. 

I'm a super beginner. 

I purchased Nios2_Development_Kit(Stratix2_2S60ES)  

and downloads nios2linux-1.4 from this site. 

But I can find only linux_time_limited.sof and linux_2S60ES.ptf in nios2linux-1.4. 

How do I make linux_No_time_limited.sof?
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Do you have a valid licence for NIOS? 

If you have one, than you must rebuild the System with Quartus.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Yep. To build a regular sof file, you need to purchase a valid Nios II license from Altera. Please visit their website for more information.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

By purchasing the Nios II development kit, you are entitled to a Nios II license. Altera usually requests that you give them the Network Interface Card (NIC) ID when you purchase the development kit so once you receive the kit, you can then access the database on the Altera website and they will e-mail you a valid license file.  

If you didn't provide a NIC (or you changed the machine that you want to run your Quartus II / Nios II tools) you will need to request another license from Altera based on the new NIC ID. I have done this a couple of times so far and it has been realtively painless once you get through the time waiting for tech support to respond to your request. 

Brad.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thank you for the answer, MRks Ken and bisKill. 

I have a valid Nios II license. and I can rebuild "/examples/verilog/nios2_stratix_2s60_ES\standard" nomaly. 

But rebuild "/examples/verilog/nios2_stratix_2s60_ES\linux" makes  

Error:Node instance "inst" instantiates undefined entity "linux_2s60ES" ...why? 

Now I'm making a new PCsystem in new HardDisk. 

because My machine installed a lot of old version Quartus & Nios. 

I will try/rebuild again at new system.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Did you rebuild the SOPC Builder portion of the linux project before trying a Quartus II rebuild? 

From the Tools menu, select SOPC Builder. When SOPC Builder appears, click Generate. Once that finishes Quartus II should let you compile the project. 

Dennis Scott 

Microtronix Datacom
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello. 

I can make linux_No_time_limited.sof. http://forum.niosforum.com/work2/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif  

I did... 

1.Make a new PCsystem in new HardDisk. 

2.Rebuild the SOPC Builder portion of the linux project. 

Thank you ! a lot of good advice.
0 Kudos