Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++

How to implement Xvfb?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I would like to know if i can implemente the xvfb in uClinux in and nios plataform.  

I've tried to uncompress just like the install said, but the NiosII DSK shell send  

me a message like this: 

Program too big to fit in memory 

I'd apreciate anyone could help... 

Einar Gonzalez
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi... I don't know what xvfb is, but if it's a user application, then it might help to turn on "Large block allocation" within the kernel. 

The option is located at: 

Processor type and features 

--> Allow allocating large blocks (> 1MB) of memory 

re-build, upload, an try your app again... (if it&#39;s an app) http://forum.niosforum.com/work2/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

XVFB provides a virtual Xserver that runs without a head or graphics card, so that it is not necessary to have to run a real Xserver. 

I&#39;m triying to implemente it to test...but i&#39;m doing it not in the the target, but in the SDK [SOPC Builder]$ 

Einar
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I&#39;m not sure I understand... it sounds like you&#39;re trying to get it running under Cygwin?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I&#39;m trying to uncompress the Xvfb.tgz, bucause i cant do it when i&#39;m running on the target.... 

Einar
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

There are plenty of sites out there that provide information about uncompressing .tgz files...  

for starters, try: tar -zxf xvfb.tgz 

The  

-z means that the archive is compressed 

-x means extract the files from the archive 

-f means that the next argument is the filename to work with 

Good luck!
0 Kudos