Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12600 Discussions

Stratix 2 DSP Flash programming

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi 

I'm working with a Stratix 2 DSP board. All I want to do is program the configuration data into the flash so it boots up automatically. No need for Nios, but it looks to me as if it's necessary to make a small 'dummy' Nios system in order to be able to use the IDE flash programmer tool. 

So I set to building a "hello world" standard Nios II. 

I have a new board, with the non-ES version of the EP2S60. So the first problem is that the Altera-supplied target boards don't work (JTAG code doesn't match). 

So I created a target board, and included the AMD flash in byte mode. I Generated a target Nios.  

Then I created a dummy Nios (based on the Altera-supplied standard configuration) that was capable of running "Hello world" 

After much pain, I got the dummy Nios to compile and configure through the JTAG port. Using IDE, I successfully built and downloaded a program. It ran. Hooray. 

Then, I tried to use the flash programmer tool. I am now at the point where 

1. The Target .SOF downloads and configures 

2. But the flash writer program doesn't do anything...it just hangs up for about a minute and then tells me I need to build a custom target board. Already did that, I thought.... 

Pretty please, anyone know how to get the Stratix 2 DSP board to configure from flash? 

Also....anyone know the addresses in flash memory that correspond to the four switch settings? I can't seem to find them 

THANKS IN ADVANCE, GUYS....
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Further info.... 

Now I am successfully communicating with the Target controller, but it reports that it cannot communicate with the flash itself. 

This is not a hardware issue...I can create a "standard" Nios and run a flash test OK. There is some reason I can't use the target together with the Altera-supplied firmware that is supposed to program the flash. 

Has ANYONE successfully done this on a Stratix 2 DSP board? Is it possible there is something that makes the Altera supplied flash routines not work with the device in this board? 

Thanks
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Problem solved. 

There were additional wires connected to the board...for some unknown reason their presence interfered with programming. With the board "naked" it worked OK
0 Kudos