Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++

safe mode program

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I wish to have a safe mode boot  

this means that usually the program that is found on the flash will be loaded and run  

but if something happen and the application hang I wish to press a button and the Nios will  

moved to execute some safe mode program(like downloading a new software) how can I do it? 

I also wish that the safe mode program won't be a part of the program that is usually run from the flash (i wish to download them to the HW in to different occasions). 

I can't place the configuration(.sof) on the flash (I can do it only on the epcs). and so I can't do the same thing as altera did with the evaluation board 

I was thinking of some kind of interrupt that will be called on a button press  

but the problem how do I separate it from the main program , where can I store it and how can I make it run in parallel  

to the main program
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

So, your custom board has no flash or no config-controller(such as CPLD)? I implement such idea like the Altera NDK.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

hi 

you can program the flash with your own factory configuration(overwriting the default one that comes with the dev board) using the nios-flash-programmer . then you can search for and transfer control to a new application image using the remote update block 

regards
0 Kudos