Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++

RS232-Interface Problems

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi there, 

XP Pro 

QuartusII5.0 

NiosII5.0 

2S60-Board 

I stuck with my uart-interface, just get no response... 

I wrote a "Hello World" as described in the "Peripherals Handbook" and set the Stdout to UART. In SOPC-Builder, i limited the baudrate to 9600 bps without any flow control, same with my hyperterminal. 

There are two cases: 

1. i set up the connection with Hyperterminal first, then i program my board. Following message appears(in red): 

nios2-terminal: can't open uart: Permission denied 

2. i program my board first and then i start hyperterminal: 

nios2-terminal: connected to hardware target using UART on /dev/com1 at 115200 baud nios2-terminal: (Use the IDE stop button or Ctrl-C to terminate) 

My Hyperterminal says "the device ist used" and is not able to connect. 

Strange that niosII says 115200baud! Although:# define UART1_BAUD 9600 is defined in system.h 

I also use the right of the two uart-interfaces and the COM-Ports are also the same... 

Is there someone out with a propose for a solution? I´ll be thankful for everything http://forum.niosforum.com/work2/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.gif  

Regards!
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You can&#39;t have two programs opening the terminal (This isn&#39;t a Nios thing, that&#39;s just the way it is). The 115200 baud is hardcoded in the IDE. If you want to use the IDE terminal you can always go to the Nios II SDK shell and use the nios2-terminal command from there (nios2-terminal --help will tell you the switches you need). 

Also if you are looking for a good external terminal look around for one called "Br@y".
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I didn´t have two programs opening the terminal, these messages were from the IDE after programming the board. 

I reinstalled QuartusII4.2 & NiosII1.1 and now everything works fine. I don´t want to say that this is a bug of the 5.0-Version, i only wanted to set up the results of my work from few month ago with the 4.2-Version to the status quo. 

Thanks for your help! I´m fine... 

PS: and thanks for your tip with the Br@y-terminal
0 Kudos