Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12604 Discussions

Creating SOPC-aware DMA slave device

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I would like to use use the DMA controller found within SOPC to transfer data between a FIFO that will be connected as the DMA read master and the SDRAM controller that will be connected to the write master port. The FIFO will be based from custom FPGA circuitry and will acquire data samples from both of the A/D's (@ 100 MSamples/sec) that are installed on the DSP Development kit board and use a FIFO to produce a 64-bit wide data path @ 12.5 MHz. 

How do I create a custom device (FIFO) that will be can be selected from within SOPC? Once seen by SOPC, I should be able to connect the FIFO to the read master port of the DMA controller and the write master port would be connected to the SDRAM controller to perform the required transfers without dropping any samples or interrupting any normal Nios II processing on its dedicated portion of the SDRAM. 

Has anyone created a custom SOPC-aware device that can be connected to the DMA controller to either the read or write master ports? Is there some documentation on how to creating custom SOPC-aware components? 

Any comments would be helpful and appreciated. 

Sincerely, 

Brad.
0 Kudos
0 Replies