Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12589 Discussions

How to reset a single component

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Lets consider following scenario: 

I have a PCI card equipped with a cyclone2 device. It is programmed with an SOPC builder system which contains a NIOS2 core, 

a PCI bridge and several other custom IP blocks with busmaster functionality. The data and code memory of the NIOS are accessible  

from the windows/linux PC via the PCI bridge. 

Now i want to update the NIOS program memory during run time (not of the NIOS system, but of the other blocks...).  

I think the best way to do this, is to assert the NIOS reset, upload the new software and deassert reset again.  

But how can i access the reset of the NIOS core via the PCI bridge, without generating a system wide reset? 

Any ideas someone?
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Stonie, 

I don't know if I understand you right: Is your problem how to generate a reset signal via PCI, or to isolate NIOS-reset from other SOPC builder devices' reset ? 

My design is similar to yours and I've choosed another way to update the current firmware: A special command (via PCI) forces the CPU to jump into an endless wait-loop, which is placed at intenal ROM. Every variable used, is also located in a small internal RAM. So the complete system memory is now unused and can be overwritten via PCI, until a reset pulse restarts NIOS or a special command forces NIOS to fetch its new reset vector and restarts. 

Mike
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

My problem is more or less both of them: 

I want to set the NIOS in reset state via PCI bridge without affecting all other devices - then do the update - and finally release the NIOS reset again. 

Unfortunately, your solution is not applicable because i don't have external RAM, and internal RAM is very limited....
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi stonie, 

I had a similar problem ... I wanted to keep the Nios-II core in reset, but still write 

to sdram via a PCI bridge. But a reset of the system module also reset the SDRAM 

controller 8-P 

As it turns out, I ended up moving the sdram controller and the PCI bridge (and 

some PCI accessible control registers) out of the SOPC system module that contained 

the Nios-II. Basically, I ended up with two system modules: 1-with the Nios-II core 

and various I/O, and 2-with the SDRAM controller. The PCI bridge (and control regs) 

were external to both. The system module with the SDRAM controller had two slave 

interfaces (one for the Nios-II module and the other for the PCI bridge). 

This structure was a pain-in-the-@$$, but it let me keep separate resets without 

having to hack things up. An independent "CPU reset" signal from the system module 

would certainly make like easier (hint hint). 

Regards, 

--Scott
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

MY first thought was to write a container for the NIOS core with an additional slave port which contains a single bit register. The output of this register could be ORed to the SOPC builders reset line - but i don't know if this will compile with future NIOS versions???

0 Kudos