Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12600 Discussions

can't run a project using the UART

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi all-- 

I built a default "hello_world" project which references the "standard" example .ptf. I also chose the default setting to have a system library autogenerated. 

I then went into the system library's Properties settings and changed the stdin, stdout, and stderr dropdown-box settings to "uart1," (not the jtag_uart, but uart1) and did "Build Project," which successfully built the application and syslib projects. 

I uploaded the "standard" .sof file to the board, then went back to the IDE and chose "Run As..." > "Nios Hardware" on my hello_world project. 

The console window response I get is: 

--- 

nios2-terminal: can't open uart: No such file or directory 

--- 

Anyone have an idea why? I don't believe the "standard" project even HAS something called "uart." It has a "uart1," and a "jtag_uart." 

There must be something basic I'm not doing, but I have no idea what. Any comments would be appreciated. 

Brian
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

For anyone who cares, this problem seems to have been just caused by a misconfiguration of the terminal software I was using. Apparently the nios2-terminal software gets told to use whatever port is chosen for "stdout." My terminal software was misconfigured, so apparently when nios2-terminal tried to output: 

nios2-terminal: (Use the IDE stop button or Ctrl-C to terminate) 

...it didn't succeed, and responded with the "can't open uart" message. 

I love being new. Not. http://forum.niosforum.com/work2/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/huh.gif  

Brian
0 Kudos