Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12604 Discussions

flash programmer design problem in UP3 board

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

hi all, 

1) i am using a UP3 EP1C6Q240C8 cyclone board with ES29LV160DB-70RTC excel semicon flash chip. i am doing a project where i have to do file read and write operations. for that i intend to use the flash and include my *.txt files to be read/written in my NIOS IDE 5.0 project.( i am using Q2 v5.0). i have generated the flash programmer FPGA design(.bdf) for my board and also the custom board "target files" using SDK shell as said in the "ug_nios2_flash_programmer.pdf". my board runs at 48 MHz and IDE says not to run flash below 50MHz. so i generated "target files" for my board using SDK shell at 50 MHz.  

will there be any problem due to this? 

2) when i run the IDE->tools->flash programmer utility, the window says target board not chosen. how to select the custom board i have generated in the flash programmer? 

the "program flash" button is also disabled. 

do i have to download the .sof file i have generated using shell into the fpga to solve this? 

3) after programming the flash, can i write into it? 

thanks 

venugopal
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

1) i tried generating my "target files" at 48 MHz but still the "program flash" button is not enabled  

2) how to select the custom board i have generated in the flash programmer/sopc builder to get rid of the "board not selected" problem? i have to downloaded the .sof file i have generated using shell into the fpga. 

thanks 

venugopal
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi venugopal, 

> how to select the custom board i have generated in the flash programmer/sopc builder 

> to get rid of the "board not selected" problem? 

You can add your flash programmer design to $SOPC_KIT_NIOS2/components. You can see 

the development board trees for examples. 

Regards, 

--Scott
0 Kudos