Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++

uClinux stdout

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I posted a while back about booting the Nios uClinux system without a console, which is achieved by disabling JTAG in the kernel config. However, in testing this, I've noticed strange problems that occur when running without a console (that don't appear when a console is used). It seems at certain points that the system reboots itself. I can only assume that this has something to do with stdout getting clogged (via printk/f calls used during debugging). Is there a way to 'turn off' stdout, or otherwise mitigate these problems without globally removing all calls to printf/k? 

Basically, I want my print statements there for debugging, but I don't want them to jam anything up when running in production. Any advice? 

Thanks, 

Ryan 

Quantapoint
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I can't speak for uCLinux, but in the HAL implementation, the jtag_uart will timeout after a period of inactivity. This is, of course, when you are using the full (non-reduced) version of the jtag_uart driver. 

Cheers, 

- slacker
0 Kudos