Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12606 Discussions

eCos with CF on Stratix Nios Dev board

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I have set up an eCos system with Compact flash support on two Altera Nios development boards (Stratix edition). On one board everything works fine, I can access the CF card and write and read from it. On the other board, the thread of execution gets stuck in some initiation code and the debugger can't cope. The only difference between these two boards (as far as I can tell) is that I wired the CF socket pin 9 to ground (for true IDE mode) on the board that works. 

Naturally I am going to change the other board to see if this can fix the problem. 

Has anyone else had a similar experience in this area?
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

For the record, tying pin 9 of the Compact flash card socket to ground (for IDE mode) has made no difference to the board that won't run. 

A few more details for anyone interested ---- 

The hardware design is based on the std_1s40 CF example but fitted to the statix 1s10 on the Nios development board (Stratix edition). The LCD connections have been moved to J15 so as not to interfere with the CF. 

The cf_testutils where first run to check for correct card read/write at the lower level. 

Then an eCos library was build with the five components required for CF support (FAT filesystem, Disk Device Drivers, File IO, Block Cache & access Lib, Linux compatibility) added to the basic nios template. 

Then a project was built (using Nios IDE) with the fileio1.c CF test example. 

The code runs from dram, ie reset address, exception vetors, text and data etc all in dram. 

On one board everything works. On the other board other projects work and the cf_testutils works. However when the project with fileio1.c is run, execution gets stuck in some initialization in the Block Cache & access library code. 

Any advice on this would be welcome.
0 Kudos