Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12605 Discussions

NIOSII supports floating point multiplier ?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

hi group, 

i am new to NIOS II . Cud any one tell me does NIOS II supports floating point multiplication? 

if yes how could one use it and control it through c program using nios II.
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Yes, but not directly. Go to the IP section "Post your own IP" at the bottom of the main page and look for "Nios II floating point custom instructions". Works great....but....read on 

I tried it on a 1C3-144. First used it on the NIOSII-e and saw a real improvement over the emulated code. But when I ran the code on a NIOSII-f core without the custom instructions it flew, much faster than the -e core and custom instruction (but then the -e core is not that fast. Unfortunately there was not enough space to implement a fast core plus the custom instructions. Bottom line is that if you think you are going to get away with a -e core with hw float then it is still better to use the fast core with emulation.  

VictorS
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

hi victor, 

Thanks a lot for the reply. I will check the material .... any how thanks again.
0 Kudos