Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12606 Discussions

nios2linux-1.4 -> kernel rebooting

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi people. 

I am currently using the Microtronix nios2linux-1.4 uClinux distribution on an Altera Stratix NIOS Development Kit. 

I have compiled my kernel and file system successfully against the 'full-featured' VHDL example provided in the dev kit. 

When I attempt to use nios2-terminal via the NIOS II SDK Shell I receive the following output repeatedly: 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

Linux version 2.6.11-uc0 ............. (some more details here) 

uClinux/NIOS II 

Altera Nios II support © 2004 Microtronix Datacom Ltd. 

Built 1 zonelists 

Kernel command line: root=/dev/mtdblock0 ro 

PID hash table entries: 128 (order: 7, 2048 bytes) 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

I guess this is the kernel continuously rebooting! 

While reading the forums I noticed that the Exception address needs to be set to SDRAM, which I then did and re-generated the design. 

As it stands the processor configuration is as follows: 

Reset Address: ext_flash 0x00000000 0x00000000 

Exception Address: sdram 0x00000020 0x01000020 

Break Location: cup/jtab_debug_module 0x00000020 0x02120020 

As I understand it, both the kernel and file system have been written into the onboard 8MB flash memory. So maybe one of these vectors is incorrect? 

Any help would be greatly appreciated! 

Thanks for your time. 

Cheers, 

Mark
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

What is the cache-line size in the full_featured project? If it is anything other than 4 bytes (I believe it may be 32 bytes), the kernel will not work. This may be your problem. 

Dennis Scott 

Microtronix
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Wierd. Yesterday when we tried to open linux in sopc builder it wouldn't open so we just assumed it was disabled somehow. 

But today things work just like you describe. Maybe the machine need a re-boot.  

Thanks.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

oops..  

I replied to the wrong thread... Sorry.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Dennis, 

Thanks very much for your reply. 

The data cache line size was indeed set to 32-bytes. 

Now that is has been set to 4-bytes and the system re-generated, does the kernel and filesystem need to be recompiled against the changed processor? 

Much thanks, 

Mark
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I set the data line size to 4-bytes, but it did not solve my kernel reset problem with the full featured design. 

I tried using the supplied microtronix kernel, but this stops booting (does not reset) after: 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ 

Linux version 2.6.11-uc0 (user@host) (gcc version 3.4.1 (Altera <---------- stops at this point 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ 

Both builds of the kernel and filesystem ( full featured VHDL + Microtronix ) seem to be successful though. So I am a little unsure of what action to take. 

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! 

Thanks very much. 

Cheers, 

Mark
0 Kudos