Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++

booting full_featured

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

We would like to take full_featured and add the USB controller from opencores. 

So far I've be using the linux example. Which works fine. 

So now I've been trying to boot the full_featured example. 

I go through the same steps and instead of linux I selected full_featured. Disabled the IDE interface, build and uploaded the kernel. 

But it dosen't boot. Has anyone else booted the full_featured example? When I run nios2-terminal I get nada. 

I'm using NIOS2 5.0 on the Cyclone 1c20 eval board.
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Comparing the .ptf between full featured amd linux I see that they are very different and according to the readme full featured has zero chance of working right due to the cache line size. 

If full featured won't work how am I supposed to go about starting up a new design? The .v file in the linux example version is not included so I can't start from there.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Open up the Quartus II linux project. From the "Tools" menu select "SOPC Builder...". When SOPC Builder opens up, click the "Generate" button. This should regenerate all of the source files required to rebuild the project in Quartus II. 

Dennis Scott 

Microtronix
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Wierd. Yesterday when we tried to open linux in sopc builder it wouldn't open so we just assumed it was disabled somehow. 

But today things work just like you describe. Maybe the machine need a re-boot. 

Thanks.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello Dennis! 

I have tried to follow your advice to  

"regenerate all of the source files required to rebuild the project in Quartus II". 

Then I build the Linux kernel project in Nios II IDE with new  

..\verilog\niosII_stratixII_2s60_ES\linux\linux_2s60ES.ptf 

again. 

After that I have uploaded file vmlinux.bin. 

Finnaly I started Quartus II Programmer with  

..\verilog\niosII_stratixII_2s60_ES\full_featured\full_featured.sof 

and I tried to boot Linux on Board. 

But it doesn't worked, the result is the following repeating message: 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 

uClinux/Nios II 

Altera Nios II support © 2004 Microtronix Datacom Ltd. 

Built 1 zonelists 

Kernel command line: root=/dev/mtdblock0 ro 

PID hash table entries: 128 (order: 7, 2048 bytes) 

Linux version 2.6.11-uc0 (bln_ls@bln-ls01) (gcc version 3.4.1 (Altera Nios II 5. 

0 b73))# 3 Tue Oct 4 17:01:36 WEST 2005 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 

What is going wrong? 

Bye, Lothar.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Since you built the kernel against the linux\linux_2s60ES.ptf file you must load the linux\linux_time_limited.sof file. Or rebuild the linux project to build a non-time limited sof file to load (assuming you have a valid Nios II license).  

If you want to run linux against the full featured design you will need open up SOPC builder and edit the CPU settings to change the data cache line size from 32 bytes to 4 bytes and generate the system. The current linux distribution on supports a data cache line size of 4 bytes. 

Ken Hill 

Microtronix Datacom Ltd.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks, Ken! 

...it works. 

Bye, Lothar.
0 Kudos