Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++

C++ Standard Libraries

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi! 

I have started working with C++ in my project. Creating classes and using own objects is no problem, 

Now I want to use objects of the standard library, e.g. class "string", but I get lots of linker errors. 

My linker flags are: 

ECOS_GLOBAL_LDFLAGS = -g -nostdlib -Wl,--gc-sections -Wl,-static -mno-hw-mul -mno-hw-div 

Example of my source code: 

# include <string> 

using namespace std; 

void ThrdMain(cyg_addrword_t data) 

string s1 = "Hello"; 

string s2 = " "; 

s2 = s1; 

This causes many unresolved methods of the class "string": 

background.o(.text.ThrdBackground+0x3c):/cygdrive/f/alt_projects/R106/application/src/background.cpp:104: undefined reference to `std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >::basic_string(char const*, std::allocator<char> const&)&#39; 

background.o(.text.ThrdBackground+0x44):/cygdrive/f/alt_projects/R106/application/src/background.cpp:104: undefined reference to `std::allocator<char>::~allocator()&#39; 

background.o(.text.ThrdBackground+0x4c):/cygdrive/f/alt_projects/R106/application/src/background.cpp:42: undefined reference to `std::allocator<char>::allocator()&#39; 

... and many more 

Can anyone help me? 

Thanks!
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

eCos doesn&#39;t include out-of-the-box STL support. Some people seem to use STLPort (http://www.stlport.com/). Discussion about that can be found on the eCos mailinglist, eg. here: 

http://sourceware.org/ml/ecos-discuss/2005-05/msg00269.html (http://sourceware.org/ml/ecos-discuss/2005-05/msg00269.html

Regards, 

Andreas.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Actually, eCos supports STL just fine; this is a function of GCC and not eCos. It&#39;s just that the "-nostdlib" flag makes it not link the standard C++ library by default. 

You need to add the "-lstdc++" flag to your link command, and it needs to be after all your .o files and any other libraries that use the STL.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

originally posted by mike desimone@Oct 5 2005, 12:22 PM 

actually, ecos supports stl just fine; this is a function of gcc and not ecos.  it&#39;s just that the "-nostdlib" flag makes it not link the standard c++ library by default. 

you need to add the "-lstdc++" flag to your link command, and it needs to be after all your .o files and any other libraries that use the stl. 

<div align='right'><{post_snapback}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=10180) 

--- quote end ---  

--- Quote End ---  

I have the same problem, and the -lstdc++ makes no difference. See below: 

make INSTALL_DIR=c:/Development/DefectAnalyzer/eCos/DspFull_Install all  

nios2-elf-gcc -nostartfiles -Lc:/Development/DefectAnalyzer/eCos/DspFull_Install/lib -Ttarget.ld -g -lstdc++ -Wl,--gc-sections -Wl,-static -mhw-mul -mhw-mulx -mno-hw-div -o hello hello.o 

hello.o(.gnu.linkonce.t._ZN9ExceptionD1Ev+0x68): In function `main&#39;: 

/cygdrive/c/altera/kits/nios2_60/bin/nios2-gnutools/H-i686-pc-cygwin/bin/../lib/gcc/nios2-elf/3.4.1/../../../../../include/c++/3.4.1/bits/basic_string.h:178: undefined reference to `std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >::_Rep::_S_empty_rep_storage&#39; 

hello.o(.gnu.linkonce.t._ZN9ExceptionD1Ev+0x6c): In function `main&#39;: 

/cygdrive/c/Development/DefectAnalyzer/eCosProjects/examples/hello.cpp:30: undefined reference to `std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >::_Rep::_S_empty_rep_storage&#39; 

[etc.] 

Any ideas about what to try next?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

originally posted by klocken+oct 17 2006, 08:24 pm--><div class='quotetop'>quote (klocken @ oct 17 2006, 08:24 pm)</div> 

--- quote start ---  

<!--quotebegin-mike desimone@Oct 5 2005, 12:22 PM 

actually, ecos supports stl just fine; this is a function of gcc and not ecos.  it&#39;s just that the "-nostdlib" flag makes it not link the standard c++ library by default. 

you need to add the "-lstdc++" flag to your link command, and it needs to be after all your .o files and any other libraries that use the stl. 

<div align='right'><{post_snapback}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=10180) 

--- quote end ---  

--- Quote End ---  

I have the same problem, and the -lstdc++ makes no difference. See below: 

make INSTALL_DIR=c:/Development/DefectAnalyzer/eCos/DspFull_Install all  

nios2-elf-gcc -nostartfiles -Lc:/Development/DefectAnalyzer/eCos/DspFull_Install/lib -Ttarget.ld -g -lstdc++ -Wl,--gc-sections -Wl,-static -mhw-mul -mhw-mulx -mno-hw-div -o hello hello.o 

hello.o(.gnu.linkonce.t._ZN9ExceptionD1Ev+0x68): In function `main&#39;: 

/cygdrive/c/altera/kits/nios2_60/bin/nios2-gnutools/H-i686-pc-cygwin/bin/../lib/gcc/nios2-elf/3.4.1/../../../../../include/c++/3.4.1/bits/basic_string.h:178: undefined reference to `std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >::_Rep::_S_empty_rep_storage&#39; 

hello.o(.gnu.linkonce.t._ZN9ExceptionD1Ev+0x6c): In function `main&#39;: 

/cygdrive/c/Development/DefectAnalyzer/eCosProjects/examples/hello.cpp:30: undefined reference to `std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >::_Rep::_S_empty_rep_storage&#39; 

[etc.] 

Any ideas about what to try next? 

<div align='right'><{post_snapback}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=18759)</div> 

[/b] 

--- Quote End ---  

It looks like you didn&#39;t put the -lstdc++ after all the .o files that use the std C++ 

library. It needs to be the last thing on the line. So, for example, you might see 

something like this in your makefile: 

@$(XLD) $(LDFLAGS) $(ECOS_GLOBAL_LDFLAGS) -o $@ $(OBJS) -lstdc++
0 Kudos