Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12589 Discussions

problem using CompactFlash Card in True IDE mode

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I just want to add a CF card to my system based on Nios3.0 and I hope it works in True IDE mode. 

But when i refere to the "CompactFlash Specification Revision 3.0", it says that the True IDE PIO Mode has 7 modes(mode0~mode6),and it has different Read/Write times from each other. I am confused now. Are these modes decided by the CF card itself or we can configure it to work at some mode ?If it is configurable ,How to ? 

Thanks for your reading and regret for my poor English.
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

如果你是要使用true IDE mode 

你可以參考ata-6的文件 

http://www.t13.org/ (http://www.t13.org/)
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

originally posted by bonehead@Oct 21 2005, 03:49 AM 

i just want to add a cf card to my system based on nios3.0 and i hope it works in true ide mode. 

but when i refere to the "compactflash specification revision 3.0", it says that the true ide pio mode has 7 modes(mode0~mode6),and it has different read/write times from each other. i am confused now. are these modes decided by the cf card itself  or we can configure it to work at some mode ?if it is configurable ,how to ? 

thanks for your reading and regret for my poor english. 

<div align='right'><{post_snapback}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=10497) 

--- quote end ---  

--- Quote End ---  

Bonehead: 

I have been working with the CF components over the last few days. The Identify Device Information block, offset 163, contains the maximum mode supported by the drive. In my case using the SanDisk 32meg card suppied with Cyclone II Dev Kit supports upto and including mode 4. All I had to do was modify the timing as follows: 

Given Mode 4 Timings: 

T0(Cycle Time) = 120ns 

T1(Setup Time) = 25ns 

T9(Addr Hold) = 10ns 

Setup = T0 = 25ns 

ReadWait = T0 - T1 = 95ns 

WriteWait = T0 - T1 - T9 = 85ns 

Hold = T9 = 10ns 

These values are working in my system and all of the tests in the software provided are passing. I hope this helps. 

Best of luck, 

Graham....
0 Kudos