Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++

Another USB blaster problem

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

Just arrived here, a USB blaster. Install driver, upload FPGA configuration data no problem.  

Then tried nios2-download to get the software into the system, but strange erro occurs. 

Then tried with byteblaster to get software into the system (like I did already for years). No problem. 

Here is the difference between the two :  

USB blaster :  

$ nios2-download safe.elf --cable 2 -g Using cable "USB-Blaster ", device 1, instance 0x00 Pausing target processor: OK Downloading 00100000 ( 2%)assertion "m_state == STATE_DEBUG" failed: file "nios2 debug.cpp", line 1695 Signal 6 

and with byteblaster :  

$ nios2-download safe.elf --cable 1 -g Using cable "ByteBlasterII ", device 1, instance 0x00 Pausing target processor: not responding. Resetting and trying again: OK Downloaded 181KB in 4.4s (41.1KB/s) Verified OK Starting processor at address 0x00100000 

Any idea what to check? 

Stefaan
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Odds are that you have signal integrity issues, especially, if this is a custom board...  

The fact that it works with a ByteBlaster II and not with the USB Blaster probably has to do with the speed at which data is traveling across the interface. The USB Blaster is quite a bit faster. 

It's my opinion that a board's JTAG chain is not clean until I can debug CPUs and run Signaltap II sessions, simultaneously, from within each of the FPGAs in my chain. 

There's help/advice available from the Altera website and this forum. 

Good luck! 

- slacker 

--- Quote Start ---  

originally posted by svhb@Oct 21 2005, 01:36 AM 

hello, 

just arrived here, a usb blaster. install driver, upload fpga configuration data no problem.  

then tried nios2-download to get the software into the system, but strange erro occurs. 

then tried with byteblaster to get software into the system (like i did already for years). no problem. 

here is the difference between the two :  

usb blaster :  

$ nios2-download safe.elf --cable 2 -g using cable "usb-blaster ", device 1, instance 0x00 pausing target processor: ok downloading 00100000 ( 2%)assertion "m_state == state_debug" failed: file "nios2 debug.cpp", line 1695 signal 6 

and with byteblaster :  

$ nios2-download safe.elf --cable 1 -g using cable "byteblasterii ", device 1, instance 0x00 pausing target processor: not responding. resetting and trying again: ok downloaded 181kb in 4.4s (41.1kb/s) verified ok starting processor at address 0x00100000 

any idea what to check? 

stefaan 

<div align='right'><{post_snapback}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=10499)</div> 

--- Quote End ---  

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Indeed, I looked for some inforamtaion about that, but why is configuring the device ok, and downloading sw not?? 

--- Quote Start ---  

originally posted by slacker+oct 22 2005, 02:04 am--><div class='quotetop'>quote (slacker @ oct 22 2005, 02:04 am)</div> 

--- quote start ---  

odds are that you have signal integrity issues, especially, if this is a custom board...   

the fact that it works with a byteblaster ii and not with the usb blaster probably has to do with the speed at which data is traveling across the interface.  the usb blaster is quite a bit faster. 

it&#39;s my opinion that a board&#39;s jtag chain is not clean until i can debug cpus and run signaltap ii sessions, simultaneously, from within each of the fpgas in my chain. 

there&#39;s help/advice available from the altera website and this forum. 

good luck! 

- slacker 

<!--quotebegin-svhb@Oct 21 2005, 01:36 AM 

hello, 

just arrived here, a usb blaster. install driver, upload fpga configuration data no problem.  

then tried nios2-download to get the software into the system, but strange erro occurs. 

then tried with byteblaster to get software into the system (like i did already for years). no problem. 

here is the difference between the two :  

usb blaster :  

$ nios2-download safe.elf --cable 2 -g using cable "usb-blaster ", device 1, instance 0x00 pausing target processor: ok downloading 00100000 ( 2%)assertion "m_state == state_debug" failed: file "nios2 debug.cpp", line 1695 signal 6 

and with byteblaster :  

$ nios2-download safe.elf --cable 1 -g using cable "byteblasterii ", device 1, instance 0x00 pausing target processor: not responding. resetting and trying again: ok downloaded 181kb in 4.4s (41.1kb/s) verified ok starting processor at address 0x00100000 

any idea what to check? 

stefaan 

<div align='right'><{post_snapback}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=10499)</div> 

--- Quote End ---  

<div align='right'><{post_snapback}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=10518)</div> 

[/b] 

--- Quote End ---  

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Configuring the device is, for the most part, unidirectional, and likely slower than what download/debug/jtag_uart use. Successful configuration does not exonerate the JTAG chain... 

- slacker
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I&#39;ve had similar problems in the past. My problem has been the jtag clock line. I had to cut the traces on both ends of the clock trace and add a jumper. Good luck. 

George
0 Kudos