Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12603 Discussions

multiprocess and flash programming?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I write a simple program for including two nios in one design and i try to write some S.W. for each processor. I have already tested but i don't know how to use flash programming to program into my flash? It only program one elf file into flash but i have two elf files. I try to use flash programming to program two elf files separately but it don't work. How can i use flash programming to make a standalone system about multi-processor? 

Thanks.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

Have anyone ever programed several .elfs and a .sof into flash in multi-processor system? I doubt that more niosII cores can't boot in the single flash by different base address at the same time because of only a cfi interface. Whether my doubt is correctly? I follow multiprocessor tutorial to successfully test two niosII cores in the multiprocessor debug of NIOS II IDE. Could anyone have any suggestions to me? 

Thanks.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi 

even i feel the same thing? 

even if u implement all the boot codes in sdram  

with different base addresses it may not be possible  

for them to boot parallely as they have only one data bus(32-bit) 

hence i think avalon bus arbiter will play a major 

role in arbiting the sequence of operations. 

regards 

prasad
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

originally posted by samlittle@Oct 24 2005, 08:33 AM 

have anyone ever programed several .elfs and a .sof into flash in multi-processor system?  i doubt that more niosii cores can't boot in the single flash by different base address at the same time because of only a cfi interface. whether my doubt is correctly? i follow multiprocessor tutorial to successfully test two niosii cores in the multiprocessor debug of nios ii ide.  could anyone have any suggestions to me? 

<div align='right'><{post_snapback}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=10533) 

--- quote end ---  

--- Quote End ---  

Hi, 

The multiprocessor tutorial from Altera do not cover in effect the flashing of a multiprocessor design on the Evaluation boards. Basically, you need to take care of the addresses you choose in SOPCBuilder, in a way that they do not overlap different flash blocks. Then, you can do everything from the Quartus II flash programmer. 

FYI, we released today an updated tutorial, which contains some informations and screenshots about flashing a multiprocessor system. You can find it at the erika enterprise and rt-druid literature page (http://www.evidence.eu.com/nios2/literature.asp) on the Evidence web site. 

Regards, 

Paolo
0 Kudos