Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++

Memory Map

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Heya, 

Here's a simple one for you all... The system.map in the kernel project lists a memory map of sorts for the kernel in SDRAM. I'd like to see the same thing for the romfs, ramdisks, etc. I see the romfs.map in the filesystem project, but this seems to relate to location in flash. Overall, I'd like to know the start through end address of SDRAM that is required to run my complete system once it is booted up, as I will later be optimizing this and utilizing the remaining space for other tasks. 

Thanks, 

Matt
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

hi, I'd like to know hwo to build rootfs in ramdisk,and compressed to reduce size, then u-boot can compress both kernel and rootfs.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I'm still having trouble locating the space in SDRAM that is being utilized for my system. If someone knows of documentation that covers an explanation of this would you be so kind as to point me in the right direction? 

Thanks much, 

Matt
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

> I'm still having trouble locating the space in SDRAM that is being utilized for 

> my system 

cat /proc/meminfo ... you might find some of what you're looking for in there. 

Regards, 

--Scott
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Right, /proc/meminfo provides some information on availability of space. However, there's no information on how fragmented/contiguous this memory space available is. I'd like to adjust my configuration to place all o/s related information in a tightly packed and dedicated area in sdram, so that I can utilize the remaining for another purpose. 

Any other ideas or suggestions out there? 

Thanks, 

Matt
0 Kudos