Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++

Working with Nios II and SDK

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I make a new design and are going to use legacy SDK in conjuction with a Cyclone II (2C20Q240). The main reason is to use Plugs instead of LWIP and RTOS. 

I want to flash my executable Nios code. But there seems no tool available from altera. I tried elf2flash, but it doesn''t work. 

Has anybody an idea how it can be done? 

Thanks
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Minu, 

> I want to flash my executable Nios code. But there seems no tool available 

> from altera. 

Use nios2-flash-programmer. 

> I tried elf2flash, but it doesn''t work. 

Please be more specific. 

> Has anybody an idea how it can be done? 

Yes, elf2flash and nios2-flash-programmer. You should review the documentation. 

Regards, 

--Scott
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Scott, 

after posting my message I grubbed more in the altera documentation.  

First it seemed I do not have success. I could not download the .flash-files. I took the USB-Blaster instead of the ByteBlasterMV. After that I could download the .flash-files. 

I made some tests with my own Quartus- and Nios-Projects and it worked! 

I had to spend a couple days running this stuff on Nios SDK Shell. Because of using Plugs I inted to use Legacy SDK instead of IDE Nios II. 

I am making a desing with Cyclon II 2c20Q240 FPGA (it's a new one). Now I have to wait for the Quartus version 5.1 service pack 1. I hope I will be able using the Lecacy SDK with this new versions. 

Regards 

Armin
0 Kudos