Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++

Application problems

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

http://forum.niosforum.com/work2/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/sad.gif Hi,all 

I have some difficulties in running an application on nios2-uClinux. 

1. I generated hello.exe and add it to target/usr folder of filesystem prj.The filesystem rebuilt and uploaded. 

I run "hello" under the nios2-ternimal successfully.But I can&#39;t see the suffix ".exe".Why? 

2. I upload the same hello.exe to the folder tmp(for the folder usr is read-only)by FTP,browse to the direction hello.exe file is located ,and type" ./hello.exe" under nios2-terminal. 

It says "can not execute". 

Why? How to solve it? 

Thank you.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

1. Because the .exe postfix is a "windows/dos-only" thingy. Linux does not look at the extension to determine if a file can be executed or not. 

2. When building a filesystem project all those .exe files are converted to a format linux can handle. I&#39;m not sure what format that is, &#39;cause I&#39;m compiling under Linux where I don&#39;t have a .exe file first.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

originally posted by wgoossens@Oct 27 2005, 06:25 PM 

1. because the .exe postfix is a "windows/dos-only" thingy. linux does not look at the extension to determine if a file can be executed or not. 

2. when building a filesystem project all those .exe files are converted to a format linux can handle. i&#39;m not sure what format that is, &#39;cause i&#39;m compiling under linux where i don&#39;t have a .exe file first. 

<div align='right'><{post_snapback}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=10631) 

--- quote end ---  

--- Quote End ---  

I find that when we make a target under nios2 IDE,the elf file and flt file were created,but at the end they were removed. How can we stop it and reserve the flt file thus we can upload it via FTP and execute on nios2-uclinux system?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Singerpop! 

I&#39;ve you try to execute "hello" from linux console it should works instead of "hello.exe" if it in the correct format. 

What want you to do with an .elf or .tlf file? 

You can build an executeable file in the Nios II IDE and add it to a linux filesystem. 

I do it in this way. 

If you need more instructions I can give some. 

Bye, Lothar.
0 Kudos