Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++

Custom cyclone board & Nios?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello; 

I am new to this board and new to Nios. I have however, worked for a few years with FPGAs and embedded systems.  

I have designed a board with three cyclones and one EPC16 with JTAG and byteblaster interface. All algorithm, interfaces, etc. have been developed in VHDL. Now I need to add extra capabilities such as USB, UART, and Ethernet to this board ( I can do it physically with a lot of IO expansion possibilities).  

So, I am wondering; IF I can dump a small NIOS footprint to one of my Cyclones, I should be able to add those extra features with much less overhead, and development time. 

My question is, is this at all possible? 

Please forgive me for being so direct.
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

originally posted by afshin+oct 27 2005, 02:53 pm--><div class='quotetop'>quote (afshin @ oct 27 2005, 02:53 pm)</div> 

--- quote start ---  

hello; 

i am new to this board and new to nios.  i have however, worked for a few years with fpgas and embedded systems.   

i have designed a board with three cyclones and one epc16 with jtag and byteblaster interface.  all algorithm, interfaces, etc. have been developed in vhdl.  now i need to add extra capabilities such as usb, uart, and ethernet to this board ( i can do it physically with a lot of io expansion possibilities).   

so, i am wondering; if i can dump a small nios footprint to one of my cyclones, i should be able to add those extra features with much less overhead, and development time. 

my question is, is this at all possible?[/b] 

--- quote end ---  

in general, yes. however, you didn&#39;t say how much space in what kind of cyclone, and how much memory (ram and flash) is available to that nios. you&#39;re not getting tcp/ip support with just the internal cyclone memory; there&#39;s not enough. if you use ecos, you should probably be able to do it with about 512k flash and a 4-8 megs of ram (though i must admit that i have not tried to decrease the memory footprint of my ecos system; i&#39;ve got a 128mb sodimm to play with). if you use linux, you&#39;ll need more flash than the epc16 has, so you&#39;ll need an external flash chip, and probably more ram, and it might be overkill. 

the epc16 is tricky to use as a nios flash device, but it&#39;s possible; i&#39;ve done it. the simplest thing to do is define it as a new component in sopc (it is not a cfi flash), then use the memory map file to figure out where the open space past the end of your cyclone configurations is, round up to the next 16-byte-aligned address, and set your reset location there. sopc builder will complain about the reset address not being 0, but ignore it. 

<!--quotebegin-afshin@Oct 27 2005, 02:53 PM 

please forgive me for being so direct. 

--- Quote End ---  

Pertinent answers are usually obtained through impertinent questions. http://forum.niosforum.com/work2/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/happy.gif
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

originally posted by mike desimone+oct 28 2005, 11:52 am--><div class='quotetop'>quote (mike desimone @ oct 28 2005, 11:52 am)</div> 

--- quote start ---  

--- quote start ---  

originally posted by afshin@oct 27 2005, 02:53 pm 

hello; 

i am new to this board and new to nios.  i have however, worked for a few years with fpgas and embedded systems.   

i have designed a board with three cyclones and one epc16 with jtag and byteblaster interface.  all algorithm, interfaces, etc. have been developed in vhdl.  now i need to add extra capabilities such as usb, uart, and ethernet to this board ( i can do it physically with a lot of io expansion possibilities).   

so, i am wondering; if i can dump a small nios footprint to one of my cyclones, i should be able to add those extra features with much less overhead, and development time. 

my question is, is this at all possible? 

--- quote end ---  

in general, yes. however, you didn&#39;t say how much space in what kind of cyclone, and how much memory (ram and flash) is available to that nios. you&#39;re not getting tcp/ip support with just the internal cyclone memory; there&#39;s not enough. if you use ecos, you should probably be able to do it with about 512k flash and a 4-8 megs of ram (though i must admit that i have not tried to decrease the memory footprint of my ecos system; i&#39;ve got a 128mb sodimm to play with). if you use linux, you&#39;ll need more flash than the epc16 has, so you&#39;ll need an external flash chip, and probably more ram, and it might be overkill. 

the epc16 is tricky to use as a nios flash device, but it&#39;s possible; i&#39;ve done it. the simplest thing to do is define it as a new component in sopc (it is not a cfi flash), then use the memory map file to figure out where the open space past the end of your cyclone configurations is, round up to the next 16-byte-aligned address, and set your reset location there. sopc builder will complain about the reset address not being 0, but ignore it. 

<!--quotebegin-afshin@Oct 27 2005, 02:53 PM 

please forgive me for being so direct. 

--- Quote End ---  

Pertinent answers are usually obtained through impertinent questions. http://forum.niosforum.com/work2/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/happy.gif  

<div align='right'><{post_snapback}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=10663)</div> 

[/b] 

--- Quote End ---  

I am using EP1c20f324c8, from what I understand I need to design another board for painless migeration, nevertheless, thank you for your insight.
0 Kudos