Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12600 Discussions

Anyone used new SMSC LAN9118 MAC/PHY yet?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

Has anyone used new SMSC LAN9118 MAC/PHY yet? It addresses a lot of the shortcomings of the LAN91C111 and should be capable of much better performance. I'm considering it for a new design but would like to hear from anyone who might have been there already. To get the most from the part I'll need to do a reasonable amount of development and so would be particularly interested in hearing from anyone with any "gotchas" they've hit. 

Mark.
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Mark, 

we are the SMSC 9117 in a design as MAC/PHY. Its the small brother of the 9118 with a 16 bit databus. It offers some nice features. At the moment I'm writing driver for the chip. But no performance test are done yet.  

I my eyes the configurable data alignment is one of the best feature. http://forum.niosforum.com/work2/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif  

kind regards 

Joern
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Joern, 

Have you done any throughput tests on your SMSC 9117? 

Regards, 

Louis.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Louis, 

i only wrote the basic driver for the SMSC and made no performance measurements.  

At the moment I&#39;m testing the DM9000A from Davicom with integrated TCP/UDP/IP checksum calculation. The first figures look very good. 2.8 MBytes/s in UDP mode (P2P) without any optimization. 

Kind regards 

joern
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Just out of curiosity, have you done any comparisons to any other Ethernet systems on the NIOS platform?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have done some benchmarks with the 91C111 from SMSC and now working with the Davicom MAC/PHY.

0 Kudos