Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12600 Discussions

CFI-Flash & EPCS-programming in production

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

if the hardware consists of an EPCS device (for FPGA configuration) and a CFI-flash (for Nios software and serial number), how do I program both after hardware production via JTAG? 

In the EPCS device the Nios software and a text file with product specific data (e.g. serial number, production date) must be stored.  

The only way I currently know is using the Nios shell and an appr. script: 

1. Use Quartus Programmer to load FPGA with configuration 

2. Use Flash-Programmer to program EPCS and CFI-Flash 

And this means (in my opinion) that the manufacturer has to install the Quartus Programmer AND the complete Nios software (to get the shell and the Flash Programmer)?!??!?! 

That would mean installing 1 GBytes on data just for programming!??!?! 

Hope somebody of you has a better solution/idea for me!!!! 

Thanks 

damc
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

> Hope somebody of you has a better solution/idea for me!!!! 

Well, you can program the EPCS device using active serial mode and the 

standalone programmer: 

https://www.altera.com/support/software/dow...2/dnl-asap2.jsp (https://www.altera.com/support/software/download/programming/asap2/dnl-asap2.jsp

As for the parallel flash, what did you plan on doing when you designed the board in 

the first place? Nios has nothing to do with it -- other than providing a nice _alternative_ 

to traditional methods. 

Regardless, I like to use u-boot (stored in the EPCS), which loads the application 

code via TFTP and programs the parallel flash with the downloaded image. This is 

all done with a default script and a downloaded script, and is _much_ faster than 

using the JTAG. 

Regards, 

--Scott
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Scott, 

the hardware doesn't has any ethernet connection ... 

But that's also not the point. 

Altera is offering the Quartus Programmer and the Flash Programmer. 

Before 5.1 the Flash Programmer was able to program through an empty PFGA, downloading the "Target Board Design" first. 

Since the 5.1 enhancements :-( it's not possible anymore, your have to use the Quartus Programmer before the Flash Programmer. 

And additionally I have to tell the production to install 1 GByte (the whole Nios system) just to get the environment that is needed to program the hardware.... 

And what are with the worldwide service partners of our product?!?! In worst-case they need also to install the GByte just to reprogram the hardware .... 

damc
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

damc, 

Check out the Nios II Flash programmer's Guide for version 5.1 software. 

http://www.altera.com/literature/ug/ug_nio..._programmer.pdf (http://www.altera.com/literature/ug/ug_nios2_flash_programmer.pdf

It is located in the Nios II literature page - under Related Documents section. 

http://www.altera.com/literature/lit-nio2.jsp (http://www.altera.com/literature/lit-nio2.jsp

In Appendix C it covers "How to Install Nios II Stand-Alone Flash Programmer". I think this covers what you are looking for to save harddrive space for production programming.  

You only need to install the Quartus II Stand-Alone programmer (on the Quartus II CD) along with the nios2-flash-programmer.exe copied from a PC that has the NIOS II kit installed. Then you can use the flash programmer in CMD line mode which should be the most basic way to program the flash using the Altera utilities. 

I recommend to read the whole document as there are many improvments in the new flash programming tool - for example if you have the minimum system componets to interface with a flash chip you can use your own design to program the flash chip (it can save a step in the production programming flow and should make flash upgrade programming out in the field easier). 

Regards, 

-ATJ
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi damc, 

> Since the 5.1 enhancements :-( it's not possible anymore, your have to use the 

> Quartus Programmer before the Flash Programmer. 

> And additionally I have to tell the production to install 1 GByte (the whole Nios 

> system) just to get the environment that is needed to program the hardware.... 

Ok, so now I&#39;m confused again ... <<Emphasis added>> 

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div> 

--- Quote Start ---  

source: nios ii flash programmer user guide, october 2005 

When developing your hardware and/or software, you use the Nios II 

flash programmer on a computer with the Quartus II software and the 

Nios II development tools installed. However, in a production or service 

environment you might want to set up a computer to program flash 

memory without installing the full set of altera development tools. 

1. Install the Quartus II Stand-alone Programmer from the Quartus II 

CD. The nios2-flash-programmer utility requires the Quartus II 

Stand Alone Programmer to access the JTAG chain on the board. 

2. On a computer which has the Nios II development tools fully 

installed, find the executable file <Nios II Kit Path>/bin/nios2-flashprogrammer. 

exe. 

3. On the stand-alone computer, copy nios2-flash-programmer.exe 

into the directory <Quartus II Stand-alone Programmer Path>/bin. 

4. Open a command prompt on the stand-alone computer. Change 

directories to the location of the files you wish to program into flash 

memory. 

5. Run the nios2-flash-programmer utility as described in Chapter 3, 

Using the Flash Programmer in Command-Line Mode.[/b] 

--- Quote End ---  

Have you tried this? ... doesn&#39;t this work? What point am I missing here?  

--Scott
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello Scott 

--- Quote Start ---  

originally posted by smcnutt@Jan 27 2006, 07:29 AM 

regardless, i like to use u-boot (stored in the epcs), which loads the application 

code via tftp and programs the parallel flash with the downloaded image. this is 

all done with a default script and a downloaded script, and is _much_ faster than 

using the jtag. 

<div align='right'><{post_snapback}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=12429) 

--- quote end ---  

--- Quote End ---  

I store some custom bootloader in epcs. This is generated with elf2flash. I&#39;d like to have a single *.pof that contains the configuration and the bootloader and program it with the quartus programmer using active serial configuration. Do you know of a way to generate such a *.pof? 

Kind Regards
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

originally posted by smcnutt@Jan 28 2006, 02:19 AM 

3. on the stand-alone computer, copy nios2-flash-programmer.exe 

into the directory <quartus ii stand-alone programmer path>/bin. 

have you tried this? ... doesn&#39;t this work? what point am i missing here? 

--- Quote End ---  

This does not work. You must also copy cygwin1.dll to the same directory as nios2-flash-programmer. 

Otherwise the nios2-flash-programmmer will not work (tested with Nios II EDS 6.0).
0 Kudos