Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++

New Dev Board Feedback

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hey all, 

I'd like to elicit some feedback about a new devboard I will be putting out soon... 

Base module: 

- Size: 1.5x3" (possibly smaller) 

- FPGA: Cyclone II 20K LE 256 BGA 

- Power: <5.5V input, 90% efficiency on all regulators - good for batteries 

- Integrated peripherals: 

- 10/100 PHY and Magnetics, MMC Slot, EPCS16/64 chip, 64M DDR, 2 oscillators 

- Full driver support for Ethernet, MMC, EPCS etc... 

- Docking connectors - 60 IO available, 2 high-speed 50 pin docking connectors 

These connectors will be use to dock to various base boards. 

Base boards: 

- Router board: Turns the module into a 5/8 port router 

- VGA: 24-bit VDAC 

- USB: USB Host and Slave ports - 1.1 

- General breakout board for the IO and prototyping 

- Ipod: Connector to dock and interface to Ipods 

- PCI: 2 PCI 3.3V Slots 

- Multiprocessor board: Can carry multiple base modules on a shared bus 

Now, these base boards aren&#39;t set in stone - some of these functions may be combined into one base board, and the General breakout board will likely be included with the base module. 

Any feedback is appreciated...
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

hi, 

it&#39;s prety cool, but I want to know how much will be the price of these, and if is there shippement all over the world ? http://forum.niosforum.com/work2/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/rolleyes.gif
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

originally posted by sdhnain@May 6 2006, 05:23 AM 

hi, 

it&#39;s prety cool, but i want to know how much will be the price of these, and if is there shippement all over the world ? http://forum.niosforum.com/work2/style_emoticons/<#emo_dir#>/rolleyes.gif  

<div align='right'><{post_snapback}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=15103) 

--- quote end ---  

--- Quote End ---  

Really good jod. Same question about availability http://forum.niosforum.com/work2/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue.gif
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Availability is not an issue; I will ship anywhere any time; the shipping rates will differ of course, but I can ship anywhere.  

Price is not set in stone yet, since it is still being designed. But I am targetting somewhere around the $250-350 range, with everything needed to get up and running with uClinux in linux. This includes the breakout board (or maybe I&#39;ll include any one addon board for free, so you can choose). USually, when I get in the first-run units, I sell them discounted... they usually have no problems, but if they do have any problems, they will be clearly outlined. Then, I move to production units and prices. 

One of the biggest decisions was the IO count; I stuck with the 256 BGA package because it allows a smaller size board, and a cheaper board with a lower layer count. If anyone has compelling reasons to require more IO, then I would consider moving up to the 484 BGA package. 

J
0 Kudos