Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12600 Discussions

kernel crash when running pppd with debug option

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

I have compiled pppd and I have some problems with it. 

It seems to work ok, but when I try to run it with the "debug" option it crashes the kernel after connection is established. I don't get any crash if I remove this option. This is quite annoying since I can't debug it properly ... 

I have tried with the version from uClinux-dist (2.3.8) and with the version from buildroot (2.4.3 that I had to patch). Both crash the kernel, but with the 2.4.3 version I also get a kernel crash when I try to use a connect script that uses chat. 

I thought this kind of software was really stable, does anybody have an idea of where the problem might come from ? For information, I first had a kernel crash with no warning because I forgot to activate the 'support for console on Nios UART' kernel option. I find it strange that such a software does no such check before running... 

Thanks a lot, 

Regrards, 

Pod
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Do you get crash message dump?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Please try increase the elf2flt stack size.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi hippo, 

thanks for the help. I don't get any error message before the crash, I just see that the console is down (no response to anything). 

I tried to increase the stack size to 256k, but I still get the same problem. 

Thanks again, I ll look further. 

Regards, 

Pod
0 Kudos