Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++

NIOS2 IDE - memory view

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, I would like to know where the data in the memory view window come from, are they just read from cache or directly from the peripheral? I experienced some strange values when accessing a peripheral today. 

Does anybody know about this or can point me to some documentation? I haven't found anything about this when skimming the NIOS software dev handbook and the available docs at altera.com.
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Kalle Leo, 

I can't remember where I read it but I think I saw something that said the IDE reads data for the memory-view window from the actual memory always as chars, this would certainly cause problems when trying to view peripherals on a wider bus. Maybe an expert could confirm this for you. 

I don't like using the memory-view window anyway because it won't stay still. The slider bar always goes back to the top when you step an instruction. There are other problems with it. 

Banx.
0 Kudos